View Full Version : New Talent idea for protection pvp

Malrazor
30-12-2006, 04:09 PM
I posted the whole thing on the official board:

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=102771169&sid=1

a little bumpage and an open discussion would be appreciated.

Stim
30-12-2006, 04:16 PM
I wish they'd at least made taunts work in PvP
Ohhh btw your idea is bad :lol: You want some uber power for a worthless chunk of plate which even won't help him in duel. :roll: (In mass PvP prots already got some usefulness)

Iyachtu
02-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Meh , pvp as a protection warrior is just a bad idea, and not so much fun, imo.
For a warrior doing PvP , Arms is King.
Fury works fine, but very gear dependent and not as effective as those massive MS crits.

Tsarina
02-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I like the idea. Or at least I like the thoughts behind the idea.

I wish they'd at least made taunts work in PvP
Ohhh btw your idea is bad :lol: You want some uber power for a worthless chunk of plate which even won't help him in duel. :roll: (In mass PvP prots already got some usefulness)You're wrong. It's the other way around. In mass PvP prot warriors are worthless. Unless you by "mass PvP" mean holding the flag in WSG.
In 1 vs 1 they can do good vs many classes.

Ogg
02-01-2007, 10:41 PM
well, not -that- many classes.

(Unless Vitality and spell reflect are as awesome as one might think they are)

Utena
02-01-2007, 11:22 PM
well, not -that- many classes.

(Unless Vitality and spell reflect are as awesome as one might think they are)

Dont fear, they suck balls

Ogg
03-01-2007, 12:43 AM
As I thought

Kinshara
03-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Meh, you at least get a new type of charge in TBC(Intervene), to take the next blow for an ally. Won't divert multiple hits but you might save a few squishies with it. But you can use that with any spec... so no special stuff for a prot warrior.

Your suggestion is interesting though... depends on how much use Blizzard thinks prot warriors should be in mass pvp.

Dinmomz
03-01-2007, 06:11 AM
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=98729928&sid=1&pageNo=1

(link taken from a answer you got on that forum)

i like this idea better tbh. just make it so that taunt forces you to target the tank for the duration of the taunt. not very overpowered... but could be useful to get somone off a healer for a few seconds.

and ive always wanted to pvp as a prot warrior... and im gonna try it in tbc (where it has a very slim chance of not completely sucking balls)

ps.
and i think it should be a talent in the prot tree of some sort (so that arms/fury warriors dont get it also). Maybe include it in another talent? Vitality or Devastate perhaps?

Kinshara
03-01-2007, 09:12 AM
i like this idea better tbh. just make it so that taunt forces you to target the tank for the duration of the taunt. not very overpowered... but could be useful to get somone off a healer for a few seconds.

We're not mobs... pvp is supposed to be different from pve. Very much overpowered given how hard it is to make a dent in a specced/geared prot warrior, even if it's only for a few seconds at a time; and you can do it again shortly after.

The basic idea of making a debuff that gives a penalty for targetting others seems a nicer way of encouraging someone to target a warrior, or at least protecting your friends a bit more even if they're still the targets.

Dinmomz
03-01-2007, 03:31 PM

We're not mobs... pvp is supposed to be different from pve. Very much overpowered given how hard it is to make a dent in a specced/geared prot warrior, even if it's only for a few seconds at a time; and you can do it again shortly after.

The basic idea of making a debuff that gives a penalty for targetting others seems a nicer way of encouraging someone to target a warrior, or at least protecting your friends a bit more even if they're still the targets.

think of it as a kind of weak cc if you will. all you really do is make sure 1 player only can do damage to you for a few seconds. that player doesnt have to tho... he can just stop doing dmg for those 3s (? what is the taunt duration rly?). Its ALOT weaker than the cc already in the game and it makes prot warriors at least a bit useful in pvp.

Chonar
03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
It could maybe be possible, but players would have to gain a "taunt defiance" debuff on them that lasts like 20 seconds or so, making them immune to taunt for that amount of time.

'Cause, remember, taunt has a very short cooldown. It would be too easily spammable, especially by 2 warriors. Or three.

Dinmomz
04-01-2007, 02:05 AM
yea true... a debuff may be required altho i still cant see it as overpowered without.
and having 2 or 3 prot warriors in a team is a bit messed up imo (as i wanted this as a protection talent) as a arms or fury warrior is usually more productive in pvp, even if this change would be implemented.

all it really does is give the most gimped pvp spec in the game at least something to do.

Kinshara
04-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Saw a blue post earlier today, saying the devs felt a pvp taunt would be too clunky, and far too intrusive to those taunted. I agree with that...

They did say, however, that they'd like to expand on pvp "tanking", or at least the warrior's ability to defend others in pvp. Intervene was the start but there's more stuff planned for the future, depending on how it pans out.

Flawless
04-01-2007, 02:23 AM
a nice idea would be a buff which would split X% of the damage with the warrior...

Stim
04-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Ye, and get warrior to be healed by Warlocks or feeded by hunters to cheer-up =/

Kinshara
04-01-2007, 02:55 AM
Possibly something like:

Warning Shout:
(some rage amount)
(some cooldown... 40sec to 1min or so, possibly reduced by talents)
Alerts the target to incoming attacks, giving them time to prepare. Reduces the next x attacks by y damage.

(Edit: my idea, not something in that blue post I mentioned earlier.)

Flawless
04-01-2007, 02:56 AM
I would prefer it as a percentage rather than just a set amount of damage, so silly high crits would get effected by it