View Full Version : Warriors as grinders

Graze
21-11-2006, 03:41 PM
I've recently resurected my warrior from being my mats gatherer to being my main focus. Before that, I was playing around with leveling my feral druid and shadow priest. My warrior is an MS build, with a bit of prot and the 5 points from fury, he has reasonable gear (mostly half decent blues if a little uncoordinated; first 3 heroics). I'm currently solo rep grinding with him and am now aware of how gimped he seems compared to my other characters. They have similar or poorer gear but are much tougher - I mean, I wouldn't dream of hurling poor old Graze at the elite mobs I can solo with my shadow priest. I'm pretty sure I have my stance work down (is there much use for defensive stance solo pve?) and I'm working on getting better gear, but am I just going to have to get used to the fact that warriors are poor solo grinders?

I am liking the idea of MS with Flurry in tbc tho (hehe - prot - my hoof). Shame my trusty old crystal spiked maul will never see the day...

Also, *sighs* feel free to let loose with the 'my warrior's so gimped that...' quips below.

Karadros
21-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Against elites warriors fare poorly solo, agreed. However Karadros is my main grinder, outperforming even my hunter.

Graze
21-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Aye, but is your hunter anywhere nearly as well equipped as your main? Warriors do seem to benefit way more from the imba gear. I guess no 'my warrior is so gimped that' joke to follow from you... I guess those warriors with the higher tier armour and legendary weapons may want to substitute for a Chuck Norris joke...

Jarelan
21-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Hmmm I've grinded Tyr's hand on and off for a year, over that time I've progressed from blue pvp reward gear and Arcanite Reaper, to mostly Epic BWL/AQ40 gear and weapons...

I could kill relatively easily a year ago and I can still do that now. The only difference is I have less downtime now as things die faster than they used to so I don't get hurt as much. Also I am now fury rather than MS specced. I guess the weapon normalisation hurt a bit, but never really noticed it.

Still can't really cope with 2 Tyr's mobs at once though, especially as they heal each other. I try and get singles as much as possible.

Chonar
21-11-2006, 06:42 PM
substitute for a Chuck Norris joke...

Hi.

malkor
21-11-2006, 06:53 PM
i grind tyr's alot, gear helps tho. ams spec and im just about the only warrior i see who grinds the castles solo. 2 or 3 grouped isnt usually a problem but i stay away from 3's if they have more than 1 enchanter :P warders are the most fun, ms cuts heals down to 12% or so and you can pummel to counter that. dont like the top tho, the mages ice slow thing is frustrating

Chopper
21-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Tyr's wasn't so bad in blues. I only went for single mobs though, and stayed the hell away from those damn Scarlet Enchanters. I still avoid those if there's two of them.

I was able to solo two of the paladin/priest class mobs once I started to get some toys from MC/ZG.

Also *sigh* my warrior's so gimped I lost aggro in a duel.

Karadros
22-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Aye, but is your hunter anywhere nearly as well equipped as your main? Warriors do seem to benefit way more from the imba gear. I guess no 'my warrior is so gimped that' joke to follow from you... I guess those warriors with the higher tier armour and legendary weapons may want to substitute for a Chuck Norris joke...

My gear is hardly imba. Best DPS gear I can muster without regular BWL+ runs, maybe... - That legendary isn't even used by myself anymore.

Bunneh
22-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Tend to spend my time in Hearthglen. I realised that yeah sure it takes me an age to kill an Elite there as Protection, but I never die. I tried Fury/Arms lost health too fast because my DPS was still terrible. With Imp SHield Block they don't hit me very often and 420 defense helps too.

I have also spent a bit of time up there with my Rogue and enjoy it a great deal as he eats through the elites in seconds. Oh and look out for the 61 Elite me and a mate have dubbed Alan, he's a wuss!

Faylin
22-11-2006, 01:00 PM
You are actually farming in full def gear and with a shield? O.O

Temmink
22-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Grind non elites. No downtime whatsoever and same amount of cash, if not more, since you kill them a hell of a lot faster. Ghosts in Winterspring are great for that for example.

There's no reason to grind elites as a warrior really, expecially not in an overfarmed place like Tyr's Hand.

Taurusos
22-11-2006, 03:14 PM
def and armor and shield block dont help much against them elites, aint the one in HG also mostly casters?

(been at Tyrs only grinding)

/Tau