View Full Version : It has begun

Firesoul
13-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm gonna kill all you polyester-clothed conjurers.

Okay, kidding. Honestly.

But yeah, I've just started a mage. And it pwns! I wish I'd started it earlier. Levelling has never been so much fun.

Any tips from all you esteemed mages as to how to level? General response has been to make the talent tree pure elemental but I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are and how they play.

/salute.

Nimbus
13-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Go full fire until 40 for levelling speed. After 40 you can respecc to frost if you wanna start aoe grinding or whatever tickles your fancy :)

Magefist
13-10-2006, 03:17 PM
FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE

FIRE? FIRE!

FIRE FIRE FIRE

http://adrian.gimp.org/lava.jpg

Fire.

Bleetman
13-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Arcane rocks for leveling.

Honest.

Don't listen to that pyro-nubbin above.

Corruption
13-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna kill all you polyester-clothed conjurers.

Okay, kidding. Honestly.

But yeah, I've just started a mage. And it pwns! I wish I'd started it earlier. Levelling has never been so much fun.

Any tips from all you esteemed mages as to how to level? General response has been to make the talent tree pure elemental but I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are and how they play.

/salute.

Im levelling a mage also, and fiar ftw! Im only level 24 but hes so bloody powerful. Dont make the mistake of going for +fire spell damage like I did at first til i got told having a hewge mana pool was better =]

Bleetman
13-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Arcane is good for having a hewge mana pool.

*nod*

Kathra
13-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Arcane is good for having a hewge mana pool.

*nod*

SILENCE TRAITOR

(Fire ftw, i went frost at 55 for some instance lovin, and then elemental for teh pvp)

Trupiaczacha
13-10-2006, 04:53 PM
fire .... pure fire noting more.... arc is for raiding but no need for lvling... and well it all depends how u like play whot gear u have etc... to many factors to say whot is the best.

Fyz
13-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Improved mana shield/dampen and resillience is all you need for fast xp.

Ysabella
13-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Do not underestimate thread ressurection and wand specialization. Both rocks.

Ellayah
13-10-2006, 08:31 PM
fire up to lvl 60 ;)

Bleetman
13-10-2006, 08:44 PM
... then arcane?

Slaktarn
13-10-2006, 09:50 PM
... then arcane?

Lol no... Portal specc

Teuregon
13-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Well, depends a lot on your preference to playstyle, but generally fire is nice for levelling.
Though I´ve levelled 2 mages, one frost and one fire, and I honestly enjoyed levelling as a frost mage much more. That could be because it was my first character and when I levelled my firemage I kept feeling so vulnerable after being used to frost.

Anyway, I´d advice you to try fire spec/frost spec both and feel what is more fun for you. Frost spec is more of a survival/kiter spec if you prefer that way, and fire is more of... killing things with fire, which is always nice.

Firesoul
14-10-2006, 01:25 AM
I've gotten hooked on watching my Arcane Missiles cast...

Look so cool.

:(

Alia
15-10-2006, 04:33 AM
Burn baby burn, mwahahah....erm i meant Fire >_>;

Chonar
15-10-2006, 01:32 PM

Look so cool.

You mean, watching Arcane Missiles not visually casting. Right?

Bleetman
15-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Look so cool.

Welcome to the fold, brother.

Valoran
15-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Regardless of the size of your mana pool, it takes about 60 seconds to empty it using arcane missiles.

Either frost or fire work for leveling - just depends on your play style. Either nuke it down before it gets to you (fire) or frost for kiting/aoe fun.

Wand Spec is one of the worst talents and Arcane only compliments frost/fire.

Bleetman
15-10-2006, 05:30 PM
But.. but... arcane fortitude!

Kathra
15-10-2006, 06:15 PM
I agree with Bleet, Arcane for TBC too!

IM IN UR BASE BLINKING FOR SLIGHTLY LESS MANA ;D;D;D

Firesoul
15-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Btw, stating my addiction to Arcane missiles as opposed to Fire or Frost spells is kinda explaining why I'm a Pally and not a mage as a main character.

i.e. "Don't give up yer day job Firesoul."

tbh tho, on the early levels, Arcane missiles has helped loads with that Fire thing that casts instantly and you know what, I just can't be arsed.

*continues drinking*

Chonar
16-10-2006, 12:03 PM

I lol'd hard.

Ipslore
16-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Fire, really comes into its own once you get ignite.

Barcus
16-10-2006, 06:04 PM
get the first 5 points in improved arcane missiles, then go build up the fire tree and feal ze haxx

Firesoul
16-10-2006, 08:08 PM
get the first 5 points in improved arcane missiles, then go build up the fire tree and feal ze haxx

That's what I'm doing. :P

Ailith
17-10-2006, 08:47 AM
bleh, i used to like arcane missiles when I started Sylana. But once you become wise and love teh maeg you will realise there are so much more options that work far better ;o

Sylana spent first 21 points in arcane for PoM, but Nascent went fire and he had a much easier time (though missed PoM a lot). They're both elemental now ;p

Ashborn
19-10-2006, 08:34 AM

IM IN UR BASE PYROBLASTING U FOR 10 FUCKING THOUSAND

Vege
19-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Mage was soo boring for me :D.
Few dots here few dots there, You'll die just after me (but meh hav teh SS mahahah, or something liek that) :-P

kyochi
19-10-2006, 10:28 AM
um, u sure you don't mean warlock veg?

Vege
19-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Strange but yeah, a lock.
Still, compared to huntard, lock is also, hmmm, boring? At least for me :D.

Kathra
19-10-2006, 03:23 PM

IM IN UR BASE PYROBLASTING U FOR 10 FUCKING THOUSAND

Lies, you are not currently in my base D:

Kinshara
19-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Strange but yeah, a lock.
Still, compared to huntard, lock is also, hmmm, boring? At least for me :D.

Yeah, I found locks boring as well(stopped at 46); might be due to draintanking being a matter hitting the exact same button sequence for every single mob, with no variation (at least if you want to kill stuff quickly).

I did find the class entertaining on the few occasions I decided to take on 6 or more mobs at the same(or higher) level -- barely controlled mass destruction, with mobs running all over the place taking lots of damage from dots. But that's because it was a challenge to stay alive against so many :)

Trupiaczacha
19-10-2006, 06:28 PM
well reading it form a hunter that lock is boring etc is .... @#^%#@$^

hunter moste lame and easy class to play... 0 fun from it... on other heand we have locks most hard to own classe in game... to master a lock u must rly have some skills... but for hunter.... well...

Corruption
19-10-2006, 08:30 PM

hunter moste lame and easy class to play... 0 fun from it... on other heand we have locks most hard to own classe in game... to master a lock u must rly have some skills... but for hunter.... well...

A hunter isnt just auto shoot you know, you can easily tell the difference between a nub hunter and a skilled one. I have a lock also, and yes I would say a lock is harder to master, but saying playing a hunter to the best you can takes no skill is wrong.

Gruze
19-10-2006, 09:30 PM
to master a lock u must rly have some skills... but for hunter.... well... Gruze still kicks my ass...

Fixed

Celinde
19-10-2006, 10:59 PM
to master a lock u must rly have some skills... but for hunter.... well... Gruze still kicks my ass...

Fixed

I lol'd.

Firesoul
19-10-2006, 11:34 PM
You people are going off topic. Sort it the hell out.

:P

/puzzled

Bleetman
20-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Back on topic, then.

Arcane!

Trupiaczacha
20-10-2006, 01:36 AM

Fixed

hehe :)

but ...... but ...........

Corruption
20-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Back on topic, then.

Arcane!

sucks, yes. Fire is just..everything.

Bleetman
20-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Hater :<

Vege
20-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Yeah, whatever, go and do demon quest, or kite something (Razorgore event for example ;-) ). You will see 0 fun and skill.
Yeah, lock can be funny, but solo lvling is quite boring for me - dot dot dot, live tap, suck something, finish him, kthxbye, somethimes fear&dots - at least this is what I can do at my lvl :D.

Kinshara
20-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah, lock can be funny, but solo lvling is quite boring for me - dot dot dot, live tap, suck something, finish him, kthxbye, somethimes fear&dots - at least this is what I can do at my lvl :D.

Yeah... for my mid-40s lock, it was just dot dot dot drain drain, next mob. Pretty much everything died in around 10 secs, armor making no difference whatsoever. As I said, it did get interesting if I pushed myself and took on multiple mobs at once; but for efficient solo grinding it's as boring as the lowbie priest I have.

Having said that, I tried pvping with the priest -- which was great fun. I loved being able to get a shield up or heal off on the flag carrier just before some ubertwink rogue killed them. And having a fear + stun procs was wonderful for assisting others as well :)

It may be that I'd enjoy my lock immensely in pvp, but... pve levelling with her just put me to sleep.

As for mages... yeah, fire owns right now. Arcane will be better than it is at present in TBC though, especially with that +50% damage to all spell crits talent. Yeouch.

Ashborn
20-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Y'know, maybe, try another spec? Liek, destro? kk?

ber
20-10-2006, 07:49 PM
I've mentioned this before on some thread but here it goes again.
I always tend to look for the hard ways to do things, leveled my lock with destro from lvl 10+, paladin with holy (after getting 35 in holy rest went to prot, never had soc for example) and my warrior with full prot, with 5 in parry.

Gief challenges plx.

Ashborn
20-10-2006, 08:07 PM
How is destro the hard way?

Ajial
20-10-2006, 08:47 PM
I leveled paladin holy... I have SoC now though and it does rock.. Wouldn't get it sooner if i releveled tbh.

ber
20-10-2006, 08:52 PM
How is destro the hard way?

Lemme rephrase, it's not hard, but harder than let's say affliction with mass draining.

All lock builds have been quite nice always, one nice thing with them is that you really can't go that wrong with them unless you really try to. 8)

Trupiaczacha
20-10-2006, 09:25 PM

prob to stupid to see there are 3 trees...

Trupiaczacha
20-10-2006, 09:28 PM
kite something (Razorgore event for example ;-) ). You will see 0 fun and skill.

did it not big problem even for mage...

still locks are hardes to master.... and as i see whot u say u rly have no idea how to play it.... but well u play a hunter... says all

Ashborn
20-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Lemme rephrase, it's not hard, but harder than let's say affliction with mass draining.
Lies. Destro kills FAR faster when played right. 'Course you pay for it on the downtime to some extent, but that's what foodstuffs are for.

ber
20-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Yes it does, but in the long run it affliction wins I guess, both in usage of time and gold for food (yes, i'm cheap as hell :) )

Oh, and true locks never eat except by using cannibalism. :P

Ashborn
20-10-2006, 09:59 PM
in the long run it affliction wins
Filthy lies.

Gruze
20-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Affliction utterly sux for leveling imo, Destro all the way ftw. Destro is way more fun aswell.

ber
20-10-2006, 10:32 PM
in the long run it affliction wins
Filthy lies.

How dare you accuse the paragon of truth of lying. :(

Affliction utterly sux for leveling imo, Destro all the way ftw. Destro is way more fun aswell.

And you! This is no place for melee hunters to share their point of views!

*shoves Gruze to the warrior-forums*

Kinshara
20-10-2006, 10:33 PM

prob to stupid to see there are 3 trees...

Gee, thanks Trupi. I'm perfectly aware that locks have the same number of talent trees as any other class, and I've experimented with them all.

Destro is more entertaining than the others, yes. I may pick my lock back up after the expansion is released, since there's even more cool stuff there now.

(Also, what's with your continuous insults against hunters? The base attack method is simple for any class; all of them can be used more effectively after you've learned how to use them.)

Bleetman
20-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Also, what's with your continuous insults against hunters?
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and say: Trup cant beat them one on one, which combined in his own particular brand of stupidity results in: lolz hunters all suck no skill.

Trupiaczacha
21-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Also, what's with your continuous insults against hunters?
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and say: Trup cant beat them one on one, which combined in his own particular brand of stupidity results in: lolz hunters all suck no skill.

and u fail...

hunters are rly easy too kill... special whit frost builds but whit fire u must do littel more runing

now now come whit something better.... same at it was whit this loladin krest or so... "Trup u will not win whit him" zonk then i go duel and win... so dont come whit so things if u dont know here :D naw go back to u loladin and dont u need to heal something.. so shoo :)

Gruze
21-10-2006, 12:49 AM
hunters are rly easy too kill... special whit frost builds but whit fire u must do littel more runing

If hunters are so easily killed how come I've beaten you when you've been frost and fire and whatnot?

Hephaestos
21-10-2006, 01:28 AM
any leveling build for a lock should atleast include demonic sacrefice for 0 downtime, after that its just a matter of nuking :P

Ashborn
21-10-2006, 05:25 AM
any leveling build for a lock should atleast include demonic sacrefice for 0 downtime, after that its just a matter of nuking :P
You fail.

Trupiaczacha
21-10-2006, 10:08 AM

If hunters are so easily killed how come I've beaten you when you've been frost and fire and whatnot?

was longe time ego :P when i didnt know exacly how to win whit hunters :D and when stab was runing in T1 :D so its VERY longe time ego :)

and thats same as ashen will run and telll Dantheman u noob i owne u ...
well if prob bestt ppl on server of they classe say so things it sad...

and duel and in PvP are 2 difrent things imo

Firesoul
21-10-2006, 10:08 AM

Owned.

Firesoul
21-10-2006, 10:12 AM
*yawn* Can someone move this thread to a different area please?

Maybe a new section called "Class-flaming" or "When threads go spectacularly off-topic".

Altho I guess that would end up applying to near enough every thread right now.

Corruption
21-10-2006, 11:21 AM

Dark Pact is just awesome for levelling, imp on passive and newk 'em. Demon is just...meh. Destro is powerful but i just had more downtime, which I didnt like.

Gruze
21-10-2006, 12:14 PM

Maybe a new section called "Class-flaming" or "When threads go spectacularly off-topic".

I bet it would go back on topic if you did something like that :p

Firesoul
21-10-2006, 04:12 PM

I bet it would go back on topic if you did something like that :p

:( Sod's Law agress with you. :(

In which case, I demand this thread be moved IMMEDIATELY!!!

Firesoul
31-10-2006, 02:10 AM
****UPDATE!****

Mages rock. I should have given up my Pally ages ago. Haven't had this much fun in ages. I'm gonna kill all you bloody Alliance scum in pvp.

Grraarrgh.

Thrasymakhos
31-10-2006, 07:14 AM
****UPDATE!****

Mages rock. I should have given up my Pally ages ago. Haven't had this much fun in ages. I'm gonna kill all you bloody Alliance scum in pvp.

Grraarrgh.

Until you meet another mage. ^^

Firesoul
31-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Thras!!

You're far too nice to kill, of course.

I'll just chain sheep you instead.

(of course I'm basing this all on Alliance doing absolutely nothing when they see me except for /cower in fear.

YuanTi
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
blh,why the hell did i level my mage on the ally side also...sigh,damn friends! roll horde all of you so i got a reason to change!!
And yes ,mages rock!
And i'm not ashamed to say that i'm frost,frost,frost!
(awaits the pointy finger of nub)

Muqai
10-09-2007, 04:49 PM
hello there necromancer!

YuanTi
11-09-2007, 02:53 PM
pfft! that would be kewl tho,let me kill my mage and have him resurrect as an undead!!
(K,so i di'nt check the damn time of the post,necromancers rule anywayz!!