View Full Version : Best Levelling Spec

Placidum
22-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a Paladin level 23 and so far I am specced 12 in Holy 2 in Ret, could someone give advice and maybe post the best levelling specs?

Faylin
22-09-2006, 08:37 PM
for solo: retribution :)
and try to get spiritual focus from holy.

thats about it.

Placidum
22-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks!

I was un-sure as Holy seemed more appealing (better heals, more Strength and Mana etc), so thanks for clearing it up for me

Faylin
22-09-2006, 08:56 PM
offcourse holy has better heals, but if you are soloing your way to 60 you cant heal em to death, can you :)

if you're grouping lots I'd take holy.

Celinde
22-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Go for retri and aim for neat melee damage, downtime wont do you any good while leveling.

Placidum
22-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Yes true. I guess I just liked how Holy helped in Redridge, the 18-25 levels, which are harsh. I guess at around 35+ faster kills will be more useful than higher survivability.

Bleetman
22-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Except that retribution doesn't actually have any damage abilites beyond seal of command, which isn't exactly far down the tree. There's vengeance but it's a waste of time without a decent crit %.

Faylin
22-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Sanctity aura, Conviction and 2h Weapon specialization for pure + dmg.

But.. admitted, you could also choose for speccing up to Seal of Command and get the rest from holy.. consecration and divine favour can also be pretty usefull when levelling.

Bleetman
22-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Sanctity aura is moot considering there is precious little holy damage to be done with retri spec. Besides judging seal of command.

Besides, as far as reducing downtime goes (and generally just being useful), divine favour rocks socks, in a box. You heard me.

Lothereon
22-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I'd aim for something along the lines of this at Lv40

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qxxzZZVbxt

My Pallies Lv31/32 atm and is working her way to SoC. The Points in Holy are needed, especially the first 10, no question about that, Cony's just for when medeling Nelf Hunters are trying to steal your (eventual) kills. In Reti, reduced mana cost is always good (lesser downtime), Parrying means less healing and so is mana saved and improved judgements means when u need to you can increase you kill speed slightly. SoC is well, SoC and improved Crit is well, just useful while soloing. After that Eye of an Eye is useful against higher level mobs who are likley to crit you as you can still take them easilly enough and Two Handed Weapons are a grinding pallies best friend. After that throw points where you like :)

Celinde
22-09-2006, 11:58 PM
You could always go SoC/Reckoning

Ashborn
23-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Unless you're not, like, completely stupid.

Bleetman
23-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Divine favour/illumination should be mandatory for paladins. I'm not even kidding.

It's that good.

As for an eye for an eye - pvp talent. Spell crits in pve seem like one in a million. I've never seen it proc in pve, ever.

Celinde
23-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Unless you're not, like, completely stupid.

Protection aint bad at all, the only thing is that it lacks burst damage.
A protection spec works quite well while leveling, although it doesn't have any current use except BoK/Guardian's Favor at level 60, basicly.

Divine favour/illumination should be mandatory for paladins. I'm not even kidding.

It's that good.

As for an eye for an eye - pvp talent. Spell crits in pve seem like one in a million. I've never seen it proc in pve, ever.

Well, sure, Illumination and Divine Favor is neat, but is also a bit gear dependant, if you have like 6% spell crit it is rather useless, and getting one crit every two minutes sure is neat, but not that usefull really.
Also, if you're planning on using SoR it will require quite some gear for it to be better than SoC, gear you can't get while leveling.
I'd pic a holy spec at 60 any day, but if you want to level rapidly, improved healing aint the way to go.

If you want a retri spec I'd prolly start with these (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVxuzxoZZyf0tbcV) retri talents then start to work on the holy talents.

And if you'd pic a prot build for leveling I'd most likely go something like this (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVxZxzt0e0xZVf0t)

A holy build could prolly work out as well, for leveling it would most likely look quite similiar to the retri build, but you should start with the holy talents. I'd most likely take the retri spec for leveling though.

Placidum
23-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Ok, thanks for the help guys. So as a level 24, with 15 talent points, how should I spend them?

Über
23-09-2006, 12:22 PM
offcourse holy has better heals, but if you are soloing your way to 60 you cant heal em to death, can you :)

if you're grouping lots I'd take holy.

Go hardcore, level your paladins full holy and warriors full prot.

I did that on my paladin, never had any problems.. Could take 5 levels higher mobs aswell when soloing.

I'm doing the same thing with my warrior alt atm, just to get more challenge into the game. 8)

Bleetman
23-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Well, sure, Illumination and Divine Favor is neat, but is also a bit gear dependant, if you have like 6% spell crit it is rather useless, and getting one crit every two minutes sure is neat, but not that usefull really.
Low level spell crit gear? Where?

Celinde
23-09-2006, 04:27 PM
nowhere?

Bleetman
23-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Right, exactly. And since we're talking about leveling...

Respetite1
24-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Hehe,as i just leveled my paladin from 1 to 60 in about 14 days ill have a word in on this, go full retri till level 40(Yeah you'll look like a ret nub and all but meh) then at 40 get SoC in the retri tree-then the rest in holy,to get divine favor asap,go for unyielding faith etc. divine intel,not strength spiritual focus,then fill all the gaps in holy,then eventually put the 5 points in conviction in retri . as for speccing at your level

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/paladin/talents.html?0000000000000000000000000000050230041 0000000
should do, at 40 i'd go for the reduce mana cost on seals,not improved BoM .

Firesoul
30-09-2006, 02:00 PM
It all depends on what sort of player you are, Placidum. If you solo lots, then go retri, of course. Altho Holy Shock's great to have, it costs a lot of points in Holy. :( And btw, Pursuit of Justice ftw!!

If you group a lot and live in instances, then as you level, drop enough points in retri to get you SoC and the +crit bonus, and then I'd dump about 30-odd in Holy. Just to get Divine Favor and Holy Shock and some decent healing bonuses. With SoC & the +crit bonus you can do enough half-decent dps to make a difference. But with the healing bonuses in Holy you can do enough to offer good support healing to the main healer when needed.

Granted, retri is a bit more fun, but having a good mix of all the trees is worthwhile when you're levelling, I think.