View Full Version : Felstriker ... and?

Faylin
08-09-2006, 07:19 PM
My GF's (fury) warrior-alt had Felstriker drop in UBRS last night. Seems like a
nice Fury weapon :)

Question is: what to wear with it?
Other weapons she has are Mass of McGowan and Distracting Dagger.

I hear a lot of people say you will want to have a slow MH, is that really true? Seems two fast wepaons for Fury should do the trick? Anyone tried the difference?
My guess would be that Felstriker MH and Distracting Dagger OH should be a nice combo.
Also if you have the Felstriker proc and you have a slow MH, you wouldn't get so many hits in within those 3 seconds, as for now you should get at least 3 I think?

Help appreciated ;)

Fintan
08-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Mass of Mcgowan MH and Felstriker OH. I know some warriors go for two fast weapons but having a hard hitting MH makes the most of flurry and heroic strikes/Whirlwinds etc.

First post EVAH.

Khalam
08-09-2006, 07:29 PM
fel + distracting seems decent, esp cause of the +dagger skill on distracting, that's pretty imba

Faylin
08-09-2006, 07:32 PM
fel + distracting seems decent, esp cause of the +dagger skill on distracting, that's pretty imba

Yeh that was one of the reasons to suggest it :)

having a hard hitting MH makes the most of flurry and heroic strikes/Whirlwinds etc.
Agreed on WW offcourse... but for Flurry.. if you're hitting more you have a better chance to be in constant flurry.. or? Wouldn't that even out the -higher- crits from slow MH? Jst asking, I'm a melee noob :)

Fintan
08-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Of course there's a better chance to be in constant flurry, but with a good crit chance you pretty much are anyway. Or at least that's what I find. This is coming from a PvP fury's point of view, if your girlfriend is thinking more raid DPS then I'm not really the one to ask ;)

I just feel that the extra damage from a powerful weapon outweighs the extra few seconds you might spend in flurry.

Faylin
08-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned.. PvE :)

Thrane
08-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Well.. PvE what? Real raid dps or just standard 5 man groups an' stuff. Raid dps: the dagger combo for the skill like khalam said. Else... meh... personal preference really. I'ma fan of a slow MH/fast OH but hell.. I'm using 2.8/2.6 speeds atm. Although I must admit I like the possible combo of The Hungering Cold and Claw of the Frost Wyrm... 1.5 speeds seems like fun. The slow MH is partly there because I like big crits :P (and I pvp a bit too)

Faylin
08-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Well.. PvE what? Real raid dps or just standard 5 man groups an' stuff. Raid dps: the dagger combo for the skill like khalam said.

Well it's an alt so.. 5 mans, MC, ZG.. :)

P.S.: Thx for all good feedback so far!

Fintan
08-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Like Thrane said it's very much personal preference. I suggest getting both and testing them out as different combinations. If the daggers allow a steadier stream of damage then I'd definitely pick them for PvE.

Here comes the subliminal messaging:

Slow MH Slow MH Slow MH Slow MH Slow MH Slow MH Slow MH

Utena
08-09-2006, 07:49 PM
how was that below the threshold of conscious perception?

Fintan
08-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Im a Dorf, the subtle arts aren't exactly my thing :)

Utena
08-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Fair play :D

Tsarina
08-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I hear a lot of people say you will want to have a slow MH, is that really true?You definetly want a slow MH. I don't think anyone's really questioning that. However, you also want a slow off-hand. At least if you like to smash faces so it hurts. I have an ultra slow off-hand (2.90) and there's no way I'm changing to something faster. Damage is what gives you rage. Number of hits hardly matters. Don't listen to the dagger sissies. I'd hate to waste 2 flurry hits with a puny dagger. After you get your first 1K off-hand crit, you never look back.

Fintan
08-09-2006, 08:06 PM
*Soothes Jawbreaker*

"There there laddy, he doesn't mean you"

Kzuhl
08-09-2006, 08:22 PM
You should use a slow MH, because you'll get more return from Overpower and Whirlwind. For PvP you could get some more use out of a slow offhand because there's some more burst potential, and you get your rage in large chunks right after you engage the enemy. For PvE offhand speed doesn't matter.

Number of hits hardly matters. Don't listen to the dagger sissies. I'd hate to waste 2 flurry hits with a puny dagger. After you get your first 1K off-hand crit, you never look back.

Number of hits doesn't matter, no. DPS and stats do. Also, a "puny dagger" will proc flurry more, just as much as it will consume flurry charges faster. Given the choice I'd OH a Pugio or Harbinger over a Rank14 weapon any day, for PvE. Rage generation doesn't get worse or better with fast or slow weapons. It just becomes more suitable for PvP if it comes in big chunks.

IRT Beatus:
I'd prolly go McGowan MH and Felstriker OH for normal use and put on the Distracting for lvl62+ Mobs. Mugger's Belt and Edgemaster's and Ancient Corehound Gloves might also be an alternative to get up to +10 Skill, because the dagger really lacks stats.

Tsarina
09-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Given the choice I'd OH a Pugio or Harbinger over a Rank14 weapon any day, for PvE.
They are both better weapons, so that's not a strange choice (for off-hand). Personally I still wouldn't use it, even forPvE. I just don't think a dagger is a warrior thing. It's something about the feel. Style > substance.

Fintan
09-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Given the choice I'd OH a Pugio or Harbinger over a Rank14 weapon any day, for PvE.
. Style > substance.

Go to LBRS, get the druid special summoned mob and kill it. It drops a mace called Jawbreaker. Using Tsarinas rule above this is by far the best weapon in the game.

:twisted:

Flawless
09-09-2006, 06:36 PM
The disracting dagger is nice for the +weapon skills, which increases your hit crit lowers your miss, but also this is the key part, gives increased damage on glancing blows, which are 40% of your hits on mobs 2 levels above you, thus... for PvE DPS the dagger seems the right choice.

However, Im not a fan of daggers and warriors, lowering your OP, and WW, is a gimp

I'd use the mass of mcgown, if your alt is human it makes little differance (racial) with a pair of edgemasters for raid dungeons.

Tsarina
09-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Go to LBRS, get the druid special summoned mob and kill it. It drops a mace called Jawbreaker. Using Tsarinas rule above this is by far the best weapon in the game.

No, it isn't. If you for some reason think that I mean the weapon's name is the important thing, Face Smasher would still be superior.

Fintan
09-09-2006, 09:25 PM

Duel wield anyone?

Edit: Incidentally, if that is a real mace (never seen it before) im so having it.

Chopper
09-09-2006, 10:15 PM
You DO NOT talk about Fight Club

Suricarta
19-09-2006, 10:13 PM
hehe, interesting thread this, I was gonna ask the same question since a warrier got felstriker over me on my Rouge in UBRS about a week ago, wanted to know if Dagger's really were the best tanking weapon as well as best to dual weild if fury, I myself didn't think so, but hey, its nice to see peoples thoughts on it :-)

Malrazor
20-09-2006, 07:45 AM
I tried numerous combos over the past few month, with slow/fast, fast/fast and even slow/slow but my personal favorite is still fast/fast.

I am currently using Eskhandar's Right Claw together with a Core Hound Tooth but I'd kill for a felstriker. Whatever you might say, in pure PvE, a faster offhand gives you more rage/sec/ than a slower offhand, thus resulting in more abilities using your mainhand. Now, there are some abilities that are instant and use the MH weapon damage, like WW and there are some that are on next attack, like Heroic Strike.

My personal rule was that the mainhand weapon should be that slow that you can HS nearly every mainhand swing. If you can run ZG and you beat Hakkar, I would suggest an Ancient Hakkari Manslayer or if you can beat Lord Kazzak, go ultimately for an Empyrean Demolisher.

Personally, an Emp. Demolisher together with a felstriker is the best combo you can get pre-BWL.

Faylin
20-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Small update: The Misses got an Eskhandar's Right Claw aswell and uses it in MH with Felstriker in OH, both crusadered.The weapon proc from both weapons at the same time is just.. really funny to watch. (All crit = Flurry + 30% speed from Eskandhar)

As for how good it is: it's really good for single targets. (Can you say HS spam! :) ) But offcourse it's not good (at all) for WW, Cleave and Overpowering. So, wouyld be nice to have a slow MH aswell for occasions.

But it's a fun combo for sure!

Thrane
20-09-2006, 12:32 PM
As for how good it is: it's really good for single targets. (Can you say HS spam! :) )

Hai aggro! /wave

Faylin
20-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Oh yes, a little caution is required when spamming HS :)

I didn't actually meant heroic strike spamming as a good way of DPS in a raid environment.. but on the upside.. it's rather cool to DPS tank that way in a 5 man.

Speaking of which.. what do you guys use in between the Bloodthirsts when DPSsing in a raid?

Thrane
20-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Depends on my rage income tbh. I keep up Bloodthirst and when possible I slap in a HS, if possible again I'll use a whirlwind too. And depending on the mob I'll be overpowering from time to time too.

Faylin
20-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Like said, I'm a melee noob, but why Whirlwind over cleave for single targets?

Fintan
20-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I used to use a few HS's but they just drag aggro way way too much, now it's pretty much whirlwinds and cleaves, and although I'm not specc'd for imp.cleave it's a wonderful rage dump with little aggro gain. If the target dodges you usually have the time to Bloodthirst, Whirlwind then overpower and switch back to beserker to build rage again. :)

Flawless
20-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Whirlwind is an instant strike, where as, cleave is next melee swing, thus you are using the rage needed for cleave and losing the rage from the swing

Faylin
20-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Whirlwind is an instant strike, where as, cleave is next melee swing, thus you are using the rage needed for cleave and losing the rage from the swing

thx :)

Though.. I'm a bit puzzled about that "losing the rage from the swing".. You mean that if you use a next-melee-hit ability that swing doesn't generate rage? Is there a logical explanation for that?

Kabhanda
20-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Logic is simple, rage is only gained from white damage (and being hurt and specific rage gaining effects), on next swing abilities are yellow.

Faylin
20-09-2006, 04:30 PM
OK, that's clear.. but does that make whirlwind and cleave different?

On WW you do a yellow instant attack and a bit later your normal swing. The last one generates rage.
On cleave you spend your rage on a next-hit ability, and on that next hit you gain rage from the white damage only?

Or does the cleave replace your white hit, meaning you do one white hit less?

Chopper
20-09-2006, 04:36 PM
OK, that's clear.. but does that make whirlwind and cleave different?

On WW you do a yellow instant attack and a bit later your normal swing. The last one generates rage.
On cleave you spend your rage on a next-hit ability, and on that next hit you gain rage from the white damage only?

Or does the cleave replace your white hit, meaning you do one white hit less?

The last bit.

Cleave and HS replace your white hit, so you don't generate any rage from damage dealt.

Fintan
20-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Now stop asking questions and go beat those mobs like a red-headed stepchild!