View Full Version : let's sort this out now ffs

Fleshmissile
09-07-2006, 10:40 PM
rite i owned sum rogz in duels but because im human i used perception and because they were noobs and rolled nelf because they think they win at stuff they were crying. am i really a bit of hax/cheater for using it?

Shead
09-07-2006, 10:55 PM
yes, turn off the screen next time cheater

Chonar
09-07-2006, 11:09 PM
I use Stoneform to get out of Blind.
Blind is a poison, you see. A poison tossed into my eyes.

It fucking burns. :(

tin
09-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Perception is allowed, yet very annoying..

However, I hate it when ppl use trap -> bandage, blind -> bandage etc, that's cheating in my book...

Locowar
09-07-2006, 11:29 PM
rite i owned sum rogz in duels but because im human i used perception and because they were noobs and rolled nelf because they think they win at stuff they were crying. am i really a bit of hax/cheater for using it?
Nope, tell em to go jump off a bridge or something.

Artia
09-07-2006, 11:37 PM
So you use every tool that's available to you. I'd say good for you, sucks to be them. Next time, tell them to not use stealth, since it's boosted by Shadowmeld, see what they say.

Chopper
09-07-2006, 11:42 PM
I always use my 10% reputation gain bonus in duels.

Turiel
10-07-2006, 02:28 AM
Perception in a rogue vs rogue duel gives the human rogue a gigantic advantage, so much so that it would be considered at best to be poor sport, if not cheating.

In my personal experience, nelves get the opener because of their marginally higher stealth level. But if you used perception, they may as well not have stealthed at all. Both the nelf and the human abilities are "unfair" in duels but human is by far the most unfair.

I'd suggest getting +stealth on your cloak, in which case this will put you above the nelf, and you don't have to use perception.

Senex
10-07-2006, 05:16 AM
If gods didn't want you to use perception, they wouldn't have given it to you in the first place.

(Besides, can't they counter by chugging a Lesser Invisibility pot in response?)

Celinde
10-07-2006, 05:21 AM
Well, I've allways considered it lame to use perception in duels, even if you're both rogues.
Unless you're both a class with stealth, allways let a stealthed character get the opener and allways let a warrior charge, unless you're stealthed, that is. (And of course hunters are allowed to do their trap camp thingy.)

Well, if you don't want to adhere to those 'rules', fine, but it aint good sportsmanship, and you've not really won fair.

Fleshmissile
10-07-2006, 06:02 AM
Well, I've allways considered it lame to use perception in duels, even if you're both rogues.
Unless you're both a class with stealth, allways let a stealthed character get the opener and allways let a warrior charge, unless you're stealthed, that is. (And of course hunters are allowed to do their trap camp thingy.)

Well, if you don't want to adhere to those 'rules', fine, but it aint good sportsmanship, and you've not really won fair.

says you perhaps. i dont have any points in MoD because of my build so im at a severe disadvantage to most rogs, expecially nelfs with their inc stealth lvl :P

Tyler
10-07-2006, 06:39 AM
I've duelled a few rogues who ask me not to use perception. It's pathetic. Next time, tell em to l2p.

Senex
10-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I've said it before, and I will say it again: Victory requires no justification; defeat allows none.

A duel should be a glorious celebration of the art of war, not a pointless snowball fight. It is much more exciting when both combatants utilize the full arsenal of their powers (be they racials, spells, crowd control, consumables, trinkets, poisons, pets, traps, 30-minute cooldowns, slows/stuns, etc.) than if they just next to each other and use auto-attack.

(For this reason, best-2-out-of-3 series are preferrable to single duels, as this forces participants to divide their short-duration, long-cooldown abilities between duels, encouraging strategic thinking).

Chopper
10-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I agree with what Darktear said - it's about sportmanship. Both parties should refrain from doing anything that grants them a free and immediate unfair advantage, or doing something that wouldn't really happen in outdoor/bg PvP.

I avoid using perception at the start of a duel, because I "don't know" the rogue is there. I will use only perception part-way through a duel, after the rogue has re-stealthed.

Ashym
10-07-2006, 08:10 AM

However, I hate it when ppl use trap -> bandage, blind -> bandage etc, that's cheating in my book...

In duels that's cheating imo, well maybe not cheating but a bit unfair, as are pots. In PvP its another matter, anything to stay alive right? :)

Senex, on a completely different note, your avatar scares me into thinking i'm drunk :(

ber
10-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I've duelled a few rogues who ask me not to use perception. It's pathetic. Next time, tell em to l2p.

Best one I´ve had is this one shaman always asking for a duel.. After getting beaten enough he started insisting that I would not use fear in duels 'cos it apparently was lame. After I stopped using that the next request was to stop using healthstones. Oh, and before all this I had to dismiss my minion 'cos it was too imba. :)

Ravenhead
10-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Best one I´ve had is this one shaman always asking for a duel.. After getting beaten enough he started insisting that I would not use fear in duels 'cos it apparently was lame. After I stopped using that the next request was to stop using healthstones. Oh, and before all this I had to dismiss my minion 'cos it was too imba. :)

To go on with the list of funny things people ask in duels.... I have been asked:

1) After first fight: don't use totems
2) After second fight: don't heal
3) After third fight: don't use frost shock (ya know, he didnt like walking around instead of running)

Basically the warrior wanted me to melee :)

Ah! Btw, I totally suck eggs (especially) in duels, so he was really really poorly skilled

To get back to Flesh post... I think using racials is ok, even if they are imba... if some other race racial is better than yours, you probably rolled the wrong race (at least for duels).

/cheer

Raven

Thrane
10-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Only thing that can annoy me is the damned pally shields :P Having someone at 7% just to see your execute turn into an immune message isn't fun :(

(neither is being hold still in place and nuked to shit by maegz but anyway :P)

AnteroVipune
10-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Perception in duels is just meh.
Not only for rouge vs rogue, but also say rouge vs warrior. 3,2,1, RandomWarrior gains perception, Charge, Hack n Slash, GET IT OFF GET IT OFF and so on. Now I just wait for people to ask for a duel, then I stealth behind a tree or what ever and accept it. Then its only matter of sitting there for 20sec.

Khalam
10-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I usually use perception. Not like it changes anything against most rogues. I either get the Cheap Shot off first and get them to 0 before the stun wears of, or watch them try to kill me, vanish and then get them to zero.

Rogue vs rogue duels are silly.

ber
10-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Khalam, if you want to boost your sig a bit.. :)

http://awfulimages.r1ch.net/files/32/326a8f5ad4dc04ca9a5cd7e20e29f63f8654333a.gif

Khalam
10-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Khalam, if you want to boost your sig a bit.. :)

http://awfulimages.r1ch.net/files/32/326a8f5ad4dc04ca9a5cd7e20e29f63f8654333a.gif

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /files/32/326a8f5ad4dc04ca9a5cd7e20e29f63f8654333a.gif on this server.

*sadfaic*

ber
10-07-2006, 10:27 AM
*sadfaic*

Indeed, it was a good one. :(

Abberare
10-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Doesn't take a genius to figure out to stay the hell away from a human until it wears off tbh.

Hongten
10-07-2006, 11:56 AM
duel me plz
u are free 2 use a perception and to strike 1st.

Fleshmissile
10-07-2006, 09:39 PM
duel me plz
u are free 2 use a perception and to strike 1st.

lovely

Hezael
10-07-2006, 10:21 PM

Lol @ "allways let a warrior charge"! :lol: U might as well let lock get fear/deathcoil/seduce before attacking. quit the crap about sportmanship, use the fucking tools u have been given and stop whining! this is fucking sad thing to read!

Senex
10-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I agree with what Darktear said - it's about sportmanship.
I see nothing sportsmanlike in complaining about the opponent's "cheap" moves and "imba" abilities instead of learning how to counter them efficiently.

Hezael
10-07-2006, 11:05 PM
"
I see nothing sportsmanlike in complaining about the opponent's "cheap" moves and "imba" abilities instead of learning how to counter them efficiently."

Well said. My point exactly! And for the record, HS is class skill like any other skill. Its kinda sad when drood frowns upon u when u use HS in duel when he had just wasted over 5k mana on healing him self! 8)

Tsarina
10-07-2006, 11:34 PM
I adjust my play style a lot for duels. When I'm a hunter, I usually run back and forth in a small area. Not because I believe that's the best thing to do, but no melee class has any chance if I put up aspect of cheetah and run the hell away (well, maybe some palas with decent mana regen). I don't do whatever it takes to win in a duel. Unlike some other situations.

And I do think it's fair do give warriors a charge first. Every other class starts at full. I get annoyed when people run up to me at the counter to make sure I can't charge. Geting through the shields of a frostmage that starts with nova + sheep in the deadzone isn't very easy.
I dueled Lus the other day, and after starting every duel on his terms every time, I mounted up at the counter and rode far away. But just to make sure I couldn't charge, he ran after me and used CS to put me in combat. A good way to win a duel? Sure. But I really don't see the point of duels like that. It's the same as standing on a trap and flaring for a hunter dueling a rogue.

Tsarina
10-07-2006, 11:37 PM
I see nothing sportsmanlike in complaining about the opponent's "cheap" moves and "imba" abilities instead of learning how to counter them efficiently.
If a priest is the only class you did serious dueling with, you don't know what you're talking about. Priests don't have any major weakspots.

Chonar
10-07-2006, 11:54 PM
If a priest is the only class you did serious dueling with, you don't know what you're talking about. Priests don't have any major weakspots.

Holy priests have a squishyness factor!

ightrain
11-07-2006, 08:16 AM
I always saw using perception as being unfair (i'm a nelf rogue though :lol: )... it made the whole duel pointless.
Worst one was the lock with felhunter using perception :? anyway i learnt to hide till it went off, or stealth and accept when you're behind them then sprint... just annoying when ya forget and they've charged ya before you work out what's going on :( ... also it is FAR less annoying than a hunter standing on a trap and flaring for ages :(

Shaleen
11-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Just a funny (at least it was at the time) sidenote to this thread: The other day I was duelling a human priest from the party I was in, and as the duel was about to start I was hoping for him not to use his perception. As soon the duel started I was dotted and he started to drain me (he was a shadowpriest). Ofc I lost (I suck at duels and he seemed good) and by the time I was about to ask him if he used perception I noticed a big X over my head (dont know why I didnt notice it before). Our party-leader had used icons on us without me knowing.......felt kinda stupid after that duel.

Chopper
11-07-2006, 10:30 AM
I agree with what Darktear said - it's about sportmanship.

Complaining? I believe I stated that as a warrior I wouldn't use a cheap move, i.e. Perception, versus a rogue.

Also, "counter them efficiently" doesn't mean a thing. It's like saying "You should just win."

FitterGuff
23-08-2006, 12:33 AM

Thats skills in my book

Fleshmissile
23-08-2006, 01:25 AM
well i dont use perception when im duelling mates like NR, deaths, slash or ricki but randoms can stfu :) especially when they have tier 2+ ;)

also to the person who said that you wouldnt know a rogue is there 90% of the time in BG im pretty sure you would. most rogues dont walk around wsg stealthed, they stealth when they see you and in wsg i get 90% of first hits because i see rogs dismount head toward me and stealth. thus i pop perception and stealth :)

Carmilla
23-08-2006, 02:28 AM
asfar.as.im.concerned...if.u.need.perception.to.wi n.in.a.rog.vs.rog.duel...u.got.alot.to.lrn.about,t he.cass

Faylin
23-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Duels suck

Ailith
23-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Just a funny (at least it was at the time) sidenote to this thread: The other day I was duelling a human priest from the party I was in, and as the duel was about to start I was hoping for him not to use his perception. As soon the duel started I was dotted and he started to drain me (he was a shadowpriest). Ofc I lost (I suck at duels and he seemed good) and by the time I was about to ask him if he used perception I noticed a big X over my head (dont know why I didnt notice it before). Our party-leader had used icons on us without me knowing.......felt kinda stupid after that duel.

You know if you duel someone and you're in their party they can see you anyway? No matter how far away you move and even if there isn't a big X over your head ;) Leave group before dueling someone in it.

Placidum
23-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I always use duels as friednly risk free practice for real PvP. On my warlock, or as a priets in Shadowform (for rogues/warriors if I think mitigation > need to heal), bandages are very important. For any warlock, bandages are extremely important, due to us having skills which drain our hp. Therefore, in a duel, I would use a bandage while my opponent is feared. The only rules I have for duelling are no outside buffs, and no potions. Anyone can use bandages - not everyone can make/afford potions.
So bandages yes, racials, hell yes, why not, it's practice.
In a real PvP siutation, I'd bandage, in a real PvP situation, I'd use perception.
Also, I tend to check if my opponent has bandages on him/her.

Krazur
23-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Duels suck

*nods*

Fleshmissile
24-08-2006, 02:51 AM
Duels suck

*nods*

yes they do, good way of practicing

Shadowfist
24-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Rock, paper, scissors. WoW fails at PvP.

Gwynin
24-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Duels suck

*nods*

good way of practicing

wrong....

thurlog
24-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Duels suck

/agree

Tsarina
24-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Duels suck

*nods*

good way of practicing

wrong....
No, it isn't wrong.

Hurtgen
31-10-2006, 04:02 PM
jus wait it out, my addon tells me wen u use perception and how long its active for, so jus wait till its finished, why rush into things.

Kinshara
31-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Duels suck

*nods*

good way of practicing

wrong....
No, it isn't wrong.

Yeah, it is. Because duels place an arbitrary distance-based boundary on the fight that hampers play based around ranged fighting. (Either running from a ranged opponent to get a cooldown finished, or for a ranged class getting distance from a melee meatgrinder). I don't mind being constrained by terrain -- happens all the time in bg. But I can see obstacles coming there, and plan ahead.

Tie me to a specific spot, and it's very difficult to work around -- you try and get some distance, only to have the stupid little dialog box pop up saying you're about to forfeit.

Fintan
01-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Duels are excellent practice. They teach you roughly what to expect from an opposing class, and how to counter it, if indeed you can. Your job is to impliment anything you learn from a duel into a BG situation. BG's are always going to be the best practice for more BG's, no suprise there, but occasionally you do have to fight those 1v1's, and I for one want every possible advantage that doesn't hamper my play-style.

Gruze
01-11-2006, 05:22 AM
I learned how to play trough Duels. They _ARE_ good practise.

Respetite1
01-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Things i've been told not to do vs multiple classes as a paladin.

Do not heal! -

Do not bubble!-

Do not use perception!-

Do not use LoH!- (which i dont anyway,in most cases,its a pointless skill in the first place.)

Iyachtu
01-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Dueling can be fun, and good pracitce, but as a warrior, dueling is generally really, really lame. Take the warrior vs warlock for example, fairly pointless, as is the warrior vs shadowpriest.

I always found warrior vs warrior cinda fun, but that could just be since i outgear most warriors :/
(note , i did say most ^^)

Hevn
01-11-2006, 09:41 AM
What's with the thread necromacy on all these topics all of a sudden? :(

AnteroVipune
01-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Do not use perception!-

Well that's just retarded thing to do at the start of the duel vs Rogue.

Faylin
01-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Ok, let me rephrase my statement a bit:
It doesn't matter who wins a duel.

So you have won a duel? And? The whole "what to use and what not" debate is kinda..well. silly.

Let's say you have beaten this warrior and used divine shield, and in a rematch you have lost cause it was on cooldown... all this should teach you is that next time you see a warrior alone in a BG and your divine shield is on cooldown you should start running.. .stuff like that..

A duel can surely teach you stuff about the other class. If I am duelling a friend from another class I will surely advise him what to use against me after he has lost.

But seriously... if you use duels to polish your e-peen... :s