View Full Version : Plagueheart - Set bonus analysis

Chimera
15-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Thought i'd post this in here over a new topic:

2 - Reduces cool down and delay on your Curse of Doom by 10 seconds.

The set bonus is a joke, no way around it in any shape way or form. I’m sure there’s some lovely maths done by the special people who believe it is still decent to put up who don’t realise;

A) After a not too unreachable amount of +dam CoA becomes better than it
B) In any half decent raiding group its going to get pushed off before it ticks. Every. Single. Time.

Last time I used it was back in MC when my group at the time was first killing molten giants when it took us THAT long to kill one from the pull. I don’t use it. I won’t use it crappy set bonus or not.

4 - Your Shadow Bolts now have a chance to gain Vampirism again targets afflicted by Corruption, healing you for 270 to 330.

Vampirism requires corruption to be on the target.

A) If you're in a guild with a thunderfury, 6+ warriors per raid average and 4 other locks who will keep immo and corr up as much as possible and then the rest of the raid to compete with debuff slots for you'll end up;
1) Losing more mana than you'd gain through the vampirism effect
2) Lose lots of DPS messing around trying to keep it up

B) Corruption lasts 18 seconds. So you have 17 seconds of which to go happy fun spam on shadowbolt after global cooldown. 16 when you count in the travel time of the actual shadowbolt. So 16 seconds from the first hit of shadowbolt spam. Assuming you have bane as any sane raider would you can get 6 shadowbolts off. Corruption costs 340 mana and vampirism heals on average 300 (270-330) so you’re going to need 2 procs per corruption before you`ll even break even.

…Assuming corruption will even stay up there for its full duration.

*I’m using boss fights here as what im basing these claims on, they are after all what are the most important..

** Yes there’s a DPS gain from Corruption

*** Yes this set bonus will be vaguely, at best, decent in a 20man encounter. However since when were 20man instances even a remote challenge? Especially with Nax gear.

6 - Your spell critical hits generate 50% less threat.

Did the maths. The 50% aggro reduction, with ruin, effectively makes the spell do the same threat as a hit. Therefore..

20% crit with the set bonus recieves a 16% aggro reduction on shadowbolt spam

15% crit with the set bonus recieves a 12.5% (roughly) aggro reduction on shadowbolt spam

10% crit with the set bonus recieves a 9% aggro reduction bonus.

Now. Assuming you've the full tier 3 set except the ring and you've gone for +hit over +crit and are wearing Vek'linash's neck, Briarwood, Neffies tear, Band of forced concentration, Either tier3 ring or BoN ring and the Blessed Qiraji Acolyte Staff you've approximately 18% crit chance (including crit from int and assuming you have full devastation) every 11 shadowbolts you will get 2 crits, in theory. Assuming you do 1000 average shadowbolts this will be 13000 damage or threat. 2000 of this will not gain threat at all. Thus we do 2000 / 13000 * 100 = 15%. Thus the set bonus for a decently geared warlock is a 15% reduction to shadowbolt aggro.

*Assumes you have full devastation and ruin. Without these the set bonus is less than 10% reduction and a joke.

** Uses Tier 3 and then all pre Nax misc epics

This does however open up the interesting possibility of going for Crit over hit on your misc. items.

So lets assume you go for mindtear band and Eye of the beast giving you a 21% crit chance. Every 19 shadowbolts should on average get 4 crits (using 19 and 4 instead of 4.75 and 1 because I can’t be bothered with decimals). That’s 15000 hit damage and 8000 crit damage. Of which that 8000 crit threat is halved to 4000 and thus we do 4000/23000 * 100 = 17.4%

This now gives you a higher dps and a higher threat reduction.

This is perhaps the best set bonus the set has to offer as it stands.

8 - Reduces health cost of your Life Tap by 12%.

I mentioned the Curse of Doom set bonus being a joke. This one takes it one step further.

Felheart 8 set bonus – Reduces the cost of ALL shadow spells by 15%. Oddly enough, including life tap.

Thus our tier 1 8 set bonus, available via molten core entirely, an instance in which most guilds at this level can 25man or whatever, is not only slightly better than our Tier 3 8 set bonus of which is obtained on the hardest encounters in the game which will take a very large collective effort to defeat its better by several English miles.

Ok, so lets ignore this total $!$% up by whichever person they picked by the special farm to make our set bonuses and go with the concept of the 8 set bonus and why I for one damn well hope the whole bonus is changed not just the %age.

There are several points of to why the concept of this set bonus are total crap.

Firstly, Healers at this level are very well geared. Insanely well geared in fact with insane amount of Mp5 and healing efficiency. The second you go below 90%, if that in some cases, chances are you’re going to get a HoT put on you. Assuming your healers are decent of course and things are going vaguely well. Saving 48 health (as it stands) or even 200 health on a life tap in a raid encounter will mean very very little. Even more so when you consider this is a 8 set bonus of the games most difficult to aqquire set.

Secondly it doesn’t reduce the TIME thus the DPS loss from life tapping. You’re going to have to life tap just as much to get the same benefit and lose the same amount of DPS through life tapping. The only difference is a negligible health cost reduction.

Thirdly. A simple comparison to other classes 8 set bonuses.

Mage - 8 - Your damage spells have a chance to displace you, causing the next spell cast to generate no threat.

Nice. Proc rate isn’t yet known but if vaguely decent this is very very nice.

8 - On Healing Touch critical hits, you regain 30% of the mana cost of the spell.

Mana back is always nice. Not many druids go for +crit though nowadays.

Rogue - 8 - Your Eviscerate has a chance per combo point to reveal a flaw in your opponents armour, granting a 100% critical hit chance for your next Backstab, Sinister Strike, or Haemorrhage.

Much much yum. Very nice. Free cold blood.

8 - Each spell you cast can trigger an Epiphany, increasing your mana regeneration by 24 for up to 30 sec

Again nice on paper but depends on proc rate.

Disclaimer: I’m a warlock, not any of these classes. I only say what looks to be decent on my limited knowledge of the deeper workings of such classes.

All of these set bonuses (especially the mages assuming a decent proc rate) are again 7 shades of far superior to the Plagueheart 8 set bonus.

Final Conclusion:

The set was rushed.

…in fact from the looks of most sets they’ve all be rushed.

Blizzard wanted as much as possible to show off at E3 (not that they can be blamed for it) and thus have done a very poor job on thinking up creative and exciting set bonuses.

However in my eyes I can easily say that its very very unlikely 3 of the 4 set bonuses on the Plagueheart will even reach the test realms. Despite what the masses will say blizzard typically do a good job at such things by the time it goes live and as such i believe they’ll rethink the set bonuses long before they become obtainable and come back with something actually decent and most importantly interesting.

I haven’t mentioned the looks of the set despite their looking like they were designed by a 7 year old on an acid trip as I’d rather a decent set over a decent looking set.

Oh and the 55 or so page thread whining on the US forums about it does more than I could ever hope to achieve and if the mages show us anything in life, its whine and you shall get.

Links:

Tier 3 sets info:
http://www.team-surge.net/viewtopic.php?t=1513

US whiny thread on looks
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-warlock&t=1036516&p=1&tmp=1#post1036516

Another whiny thread on set bonuses:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-warlock&t=1038299&p=1&tmp=1#post1038299

dantheman
15-05-2006, 11:42 AM
B) In any half decent raiding group its going to get pushed off before it ticks. Every. Single. Time.

QFT

Soulrender
15-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Nice signature :D.
Well I guess 8 piece Felheart working on Life Tap was not intended ^^'.
With 0/30/21 Vampirism isn't rly good as you got 2s cast on it, but even though I still use it in our BWL raids as every DoT u got increases your DPS. And having a proc of it for the SB spamming is at least acceptable for a 4-piece bonus. Don't know about Thunderfury debuffs coz we ain't got one in our group but atm it's not too hard to have Corruption up and no lock uses Immolation on dragons in BWL :P.
-10s on CoD is nice for multi-mobs pulls (which you will encounter pretty often) as usually a hunter marks the kill target and all do dps on that one. It's usually not worth it to do CoA or not-instant Corruption on that one because it dies too fast, but on the still neglected targets you can do CoD - worked nicely back in MC, kinda forgot to do that in BWL lately :P. The fact that CoD does large amount of damage after lots of time is good for your dps as you don't have to cast CoA on that second target over and over everytime causing a global 1s cooldown, but only once every minute (or 50s with that bonus). And 3200 over 50s instead of 60s is a ~11 DPS boost. ergo: for a 2-piece bonus not that bad.
But the 8-piece one is pretty useless, that's right.

Psonica
15-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks Chimera, that pretty much sums up my first impressions on the set ... statswise it's good - setbonuses is ...not that good.

6 - Your spell critical hits generate 50% less threat.
this I would like ... but that is all really.

And 3200 over 50s instead of 60s is a ~11 DPS boost. ergo: for a 2-piece bonus not that bad.
...as the 2 piece bonus on Tier 3 which would be insanely hard to get and only for a single spell. I'd say it sucks ... big time. For example in MC, when we started MC way back it took us more than 2 minutes to dispose of a pair of giants .. CoD worked fine there. Yesterday each pair took like 20-30 seconds ... maybe close to 1 minute when a dog was pulled with the pair. CoD is useless for that nowdays. And who would be doing MC in Tier 3 anyway? Sure there can be mobs that we could CoD in the new instances but then:

...applies.

Nah, give us good old +dmg -threat -targetresistance and Hp5 instead of trying to make anything "new" that turns out to be useless ;)

Chonar
15-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Nerf warlocks.

vattghern
15-05-2006, 01:24 PM
2 words: improved firestone.

Ashborn
15-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Hp5
No.

Zulamun
15-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Imo blizzard did this to simply nerf warlocks, Just like they nerfed hunters by simply putting

Syeknom
15-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Imo blizzard did this to simply nerf warlocks, Just like they nerfed hunters by simply putting

God damn them for simply putting. Damn them and their putting ways.

Psonica
15-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Hp5
No.

I rather take it than "2 - Reduces cool down and delay on your Curse of Doom by 10 seconds. "

Chonar
15-05-2006, 02:31 PM

I wouldnt put up with it. Would you?

Syeknom
15-05-2006, 02:31 PM

Simply, no.

Khalam
15-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Warlocks whining? lawl.

Chonar
15-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Warlocks whining? lawl.

THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

Zulamun
16-05-2006, 11:03 AM

Simply, no.

xD , i meant the lack of hunter-ish mail items in AQ.. c'thun lacks mail at all

Chimera
17-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Set bonuses updated:

2 Set - Shadowbolt has a chance to heal the caster by 270-330
4 Set - Corruption damage increased by 20%
6 Set - Your crits generate 50% less threat
8 Set - Decreases the health cost of life tap by 12%

Arcanis
17-05-2006, 09:06 PM
8 Set - Decreases the health cost of life tap by 50%
Doesn't it say 12%?

ber
17-05-2006, 09:10 PM
8 Set - Decreases the health cost of life tap by 50%
Doesn't it say 12%?

/agree, or am I getting false information? :shock:

Chimera
17-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Aye, typo.

Also Corruption bonus revealed at 20%. Extra 46 damage a tick, win.

Ashborn
17-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Loevf.

ber
17-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Aye, typo.

Win indeed. Too bad I won´t be seeing that gear in a while though. :D

Psonica
17-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Now we're talking about something different ... these kinda makes more sense to me :)

Chimera
17-05-2006, 11:03 PM
The crit one at first seemed abit shit. However if you grab all the crit you can get it really becomes quite nice working out near enough a 20% shadowbolt spam aggro reduction.

Also Corruption ticks nigh off 300 (without SM) ftw.

Psonica
18-05-2006, 06:26 AM
But still:

http://forums.patchtimer.org/images/uploads/amaterasu-106155418.jpg

Chimera
18-05-2006, 07:58 AM
The looks with the hat not shown are just about bearable.

At least its a decent set stat/bonus wise near enough now.

Trupiaczacha
18-05-2006, 09:27 AM
well whinning pay off :) gg.

dantheman
18-05-2006, 09:45 AM
I kinda like the looks :p

*runs and hides*

Hephaestos
30-06-2006, 07:49 AM
well whinning pay off :) gg.

*looks at mage review.

aye, whining does pay off >:)

edit:

seems blizzard found out warlocks have more spells then just shadowbolt!

2: Your Shadow Bolts now have a chance to heal you for 270 to 330.
4: Increases damage caused by your Corruption by 12%.
6: Your spell critical hits generate 25% less threat. In addition, Corruption, Immolate, Curse of Agony, and Siphon Life generate 25% less threat.
8: Reduces health cost of your Life Tap by 12%.

dotting wootness =)