View Full Version : time to get wand specialization? : /

Offa
17-03-2006, 03:23 PM
2 choices for the first tier in the new disc tree:

15% increased chance to resist stun/fear/silence
or
+25% damage with wands

now you have to choose one of those to get to the next tiers, but is it just me or might it be re-written like so:

15% increased chance to get aggro from onyxia/nefarian when the MT is feared* and wipe half the raid in seconds
or
100% chance to advance the higher tiers of the disc tree and get nice yummy talents without having to get the above aggro problems.

--not looking at PVP at all here, JUST PVE (mostly raid instance) uses!--

I certainly cannot think of any beneficial effects from the +15% stun/fear/silence resistance that outweigh the problem I've just outlined. And it IS a problem - I have had onyxia fights where I've got aggro from resisting a fear that the MT couldn't avoid no less than three times during phase three. Fade is not always reliable here, it just switches aggro to one of the other poor sods who was unlucky enough to resist the fear, or i keep aggro anyway, as a faded priest still has more than a feared warrior >_<

thoughts? :(

*stance dancing for the zerker rage fear immunity can be done only once every 30 sec, these bosses use fear more often than that, fear ward is alliance only, and as for tremor totem, it a) rarely works b) when it does work it doesn't stop the MT being feared and losing aggro, it just gives a chance to remove the fear earlier and you will still get aggro from onyxia if you resist the fear c) onyxia attacks them if the MT gets feared anyway.

Cassina
17-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Considering that most < level 40 fights go "PW:S, Mind Blast, SW:P, (Mind Flay if talented), wand to death" then I'd say wand spec is pretty useful.

Fithvael
17-03-2006, 03:30 PM
I prefer the increased resistance. I rarely have to grind these days because I'm too lazy to do so. But for levelling I might consider Wand spec.

If you get aggro at Ony i expect you to tank her you wussy. Hit sheild and start chaining flash heals on yourself. I go in with shadow resistance on as well. It makes things more fun.

Khalam
17-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Chance to resist silence, stuns = awesome in some instances.

And why do you *still* care about Onyxia? :D

Offa
19-03-2006, 06:09 PM
because i find getting killed annoying when we do her.

And nefarian's fear works in more or less the same way, and we're still working on him right now ^^

poncy elitist alliance with your AQ loot... ;)

Adria
20-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I've always had Unbreakable Will, its time to try something else, so im going Wand Spec.

Faylin
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Aaah I dug this old one up. Atm I still have Unbreakable Will... and indeed Miss Ony ports me in front of her. Sometimes I survive, sometimes I don't... not a real issue.

My question to you guys is, if there's another situation where resisting the fear can be dangerous. Can such thing happen at Nef for instance?

captpicard
01-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Nef is all about taking max range (no fears) and mocking ppl who cant, dont forget to heal rogue's during priest call though THEY LOVE IT.

Senex
01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Keep in mind that Unbreakable Will increases your chance to resist Time Lapse, which is a Bad Thing.

Kabhanda
01-06-2006, 02:41 PM
its a good thing, there is no situation where unbreakable will will get you or anyone else killed unless your raid doesnt know how to play.

There are many places where resisting a fear/silence/stun means you can heal when others cant and therefore is very beneficial

Faylin
01-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Thx for that..

Thing is wand specialization almost sounded tempting after getting Touch of Chaos (http://www.thottbot.com/?i=51476), which has a high DPS by itself.. and since it's shadow damage also benifts from Shadow Weaving.. that with wand specialization added sounds like pretty nice mana-free damage.

But.. Unbreakable Will kinda rocks for PvP.. and like Khlysti said, it's also a good thing when I can keep on healing cause I'm not stunned..

Darkreaver
02-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Chance to resist silence, stuns = awesome in some instances.

Chonar
02-06-2006, 08:35 AM
since it's shadow damage also benifts from Shadow Weaving..

Didnt think wand damage was calculated in that way?

Faylin
02-06-2006, 09:18 AM
since it's shadow damage also benifts from Shadow Weaving..

Didnt think wand damage was calculated in that way?

Aye it is. Alhough wand damage doesn't benefit from +spell dmg, shadow weaving has the following description:

Your Shadow damage spells have a 100% chance to cause your target to be vulnerable to Shadow damage. This vulnerability increases the Shadow damage dealt to your target by 3% and lasts 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times.

Note, it doesn't say Shadow spell damage. But, in general... wand damage is basically affected by ... nothing :)

Chonar
02-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Note, it doesn't say Shadow spell damage. But, in general... wand damage is basically affected by ... nothing :)

Except armor!

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=52971

Hawhawhaw.

Faylin
02-06-2006, 09:34 AM
That's what you call a stat-weapon. Silly bug if you ask me, that wand. Wonder if that one is affected by AP, anyone tested? :)

Mojah
02-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Except armor!

Hawhawhaw.
That's not funny :(

Was so happy to get that one, DE'd my other, and now I have a silly wand without animation and crap damage ...

Faylin
02-06-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm not vendoring a wand too soon anymore.. Really nice to have all schools of magic in BWL :)
- Stormrager (nature)
- Crimson Shocker (fire)
- Bonecreeper Stylus (arcane)
- Touch of Chaos (shadow)

only missing (or rather, vendored long ago :( ): Banshee FInger (frost)

Senex
02-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm not vendoring a wand too soon anymore.. Really nice to have all schools of magic in BWL :)
- Stormrager (nature)
- Crimson Shocker (fire)
- Bonecreeper Stylus (arcane)
- Touch of Chaos (shadow)

only missing (or rather, vendored long ago :( ): Banshee FInger (frost)
As far as I recall, there's also a Holy wand that drops somewhere in BRD.

Zulamun
07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Resisting silence and stun is a great thing, but as you said resisting fear isnt always, especially not as an undead.

I as a troll so far had no trouble with fears, then again i did not face onyxia and nefarian yet. Thusfar the benefits outweigh the disadvantages of 2 encounters to be honest, MC/BWL/ONY are in total 19 boss encounters of which 2 are 15% affected by this talent, i rarely wand anyway, so i'd stick to the resist for instances like strat when farming rep for naxx ;)

Faylin
21-06-2006, 07:21 AM

Except armor!

Hawhawhaw.

1.11 Patch notes:

Antenna of Invigoration's damage type has been changed to Nature, it was never intended to do physical damage. It will also now properly display it's firing animation.

Zulamun
26-06-2006, 08:56 AM

Except armor!

Hawhawhaw.

1.11 Patch notes:

Antenna of Invigoration's damage type has been changed to Nature, it was never intended to do physical damage. It will also now properly display it's firing animation.

:cry:

Chonar
26-06-2006, 09:12 AM

Except armor!

Hawhawhaw.

1.11 Patch notes:

How rude.

sara
01-07-2006, 10:54 AM
90dps wand ftw, wand spec is quite nice :)