View Full Version : To Move Or Not To Move

Turiel
07-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, it's come to the stage again where I'm considering moving the site. If I'm to move it this time, it will be to a dedicated server. I just want to get some feedback from people regarding this. To start, I'll outline the previous, current, and future host problems.

Previous hosting (hosting365.ie - Shared Hosting Business Plan):
- Excellent connection, fast, with nobody reporting problems accessing.
- High cost due to much bandwidth usage (currently 1gb per day)

Current hosting (imhosted.com - Standard Plan):
- Approximately 10-20% of users cannot access the site at any given time due to routing issues.
- Database connections limited to 35 concurrent.
- Unable to run processor-intensive tasks (e.g. promisance)
- Very cheap.

Future hosting (rack365.ie - Basic Dedicated Server)
- Whole server dedicated to SSE.
- Same host as the first one so we know its an excellent connection.
- High cost: likely €70 a month.
- The possibility to recuperate costs by selling hosting space. (guilds, cheap €5 per month hosting?)

So, what do you guys think? I've looked at other shared hosting plans but the drawbacks are pretty much the same as the current host. Because there are maybe 100+ websites hosted on a single server, any one given website can't use too much resources, which it seems SSE does - and we're only getting bigger and bigger. Shelling out €70 per month is pretty bad though. What do you think of my selling-hosting-space-to-guilds idea? They'd have a fully featured web account with PHP, MySQL, etc for cheaper than any other host. I'm not sure if most guilds just go for free hosting though.

dantheman
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I've said on at least 2 other threads that I dont mind donating a few quid a month. This website keeps me going in work.

Turiel
07-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I know.... I hate asking for donations though. But I might well take you up on that I guess, thanks :)

dantheman
07-02-2006, 04:22 PM
You're providing a service that alot of people on the server use at your own cost. Something you didnt need to do. Asking for donations isnt cheeky if it keeps the website (that we all use and love) going.

Jurgan
07-02-2006, 05:26 PM
I use.. dunno about love since it don't love me :P

But donations per guild... a viable suggestion.

Proterra
07-02-2006, 06:13 PM
I like doantions idea, tbh im a bit tired of this server as 50% of the time I can't get on here or my college computer and its really frustrating so im ALL for a new change ;)

Cassina
07-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Guild hosting would WTFPWN, well that's one way of putting it.
Maybe charge them a fiver a month or something to get their own subdomain & MySQL DB for their forum etc?

agx
07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, it's come to the stage again where I'm considering moving the site. .

I've managed into the past a 75.000 members community... rule nr.1 or system administrator is don't touch what works :)) If you move to a dedicate site you're getting onto yourself to take care of the whole machine. I did and had downtime of 2 or 3 days since the provider will not take care of anything except rebooting the server.

From now on, until the web has some important data on it, i prefer to keep hosting solutions.

/kisses

Turiel
08-02-2006, 03:24 AM
I understand where you're coming from Agx, but it isnt "working" at the moment. Or at least, for 20% of people its not working. Which isn't really acceptable tbh. I'm a Linux Consultant by trade so managing the server isn't hard. In fact, I much prefer to have complete control over it.

Regarding subdomains, sure I can give that to a guild no problem but I can also accomodate them having their own full domain name.

Would many guild avail of this hosting offer?

The package would be:
- Domain hosting
- 500mb disk space
- 5 MySQL or PostgreSQL databases
- PHP4/5
- PERL
- Redundant network infrastructure
- 100 email accounts

For about €5.

Turiel
08-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, I went for it.

We now have a brand new server all to ourselves :)

Stay tuned for details of the move. It will be a while as I have to install and configure it from scratch.

AnteroVipune
08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
You sir, rock.

agx
08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm a Linux Consultant by trade so managing the server isn't hard.

I'm 100% linux too (badpenguin.org) but the problem that the hardware is not reliable as Linux and it brokes and its downtime :) and i'll never want to pay myself for broken hardware, repair bills, reinstall, etc. expecially in my situation where the NOC is alwyas at more then 700 km from me :-(