View Full Version : Priest Changes!

Alia
03-02-2006, 03:52 PM
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-priest&t=577886&p=1&tmp=1#post577886

As has been stated many times in recent posts, a number of improvements are being made to several priest talents and core abilities for the next content patch. Several of these changes are still in the testing process, and in some cases, under discussion - especially those relating to talents. What this means to the players is, the following details pertaining to upcoming change is not comprehensive, and intended primarily to serve as a sneak preview, and in a perfect world, satisfy some of your curiosity.

Too bad this world isn't perfect...

Greater Heal (and Heal starting from rank2) will receive a reduction to its casting time. Currently the spell is a 4 second cast. However, once patch 1.10 releases, the spell, from start to finish will cast in 3 seconds - (2.5 with talent improvement). This spell, along with the Druid's Healing Touch and the Shaman's Healing Wave will all receive an approximate 10% improvement to mana efficiency.

Holy Fire will no longer be a talent required ability. All priests, upon reaching the appropriate level will receive this spell as a core ability. In addition, this spell's casting time has been reduced from 4 seconds to 3.5. The appropriate talent improvement would bring this spell to a 3 second cast. This spell will also be considered holy damage, meaning, effects which improve holy damage will increase the damage of this spell.

Inner Fire is another core ability we're reworking. With the prevalence of wand-use amongst casters, we're not very pleased with the increase of attack power this spell provides and are looking to change Inner Fire so that it is more in line with the original concept behind the ability, i.e. a defensive/soloing spell.

Power Word: Shield is still undergoing testing. Basically, we're running the numbers of the final spell ranks and will likely make changes to its damage mitigation scaling.

Talents are where we're making the most significant changes, however, until the changes have been finalized there is little I'm going to be able to reveal. What I will state is that we're reorganizing and streamlining all three trees, with a particular emphasis on Holy and Discipline. Each tree will have anywhere from 1 to 4 brand new talents available. The focus of Holy will be in providing throughput improvement, such as offering benefits to healing and spell damage. Discipline will focus on staying-power, such as what you see from abilities that improve mana and mana regeneration. Shadow of course, will focus primarily on damage.

Priest class racial improvements are for the most part, complete yet undergoing testing. Until all of them are ready to be unveiled, I'm going to avoid providing specifics. I will try very hard to push out concrete details late next week, if possible.

A number of minor improvements and tweaks continue to be made as well, such as the increase we're making to Prayer of Fortitude's range and radius, the overall reduction to Smite's mana cost, the addition of group buff versions for Divine Spirit and Shadow Protection, and much more. In addition, I can promise that I'll push for the talents to go live on the talent calculator the moment that they've been finalized, which hopefully won't be long now.

Fithvael
03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
/dance

Felwen
03-02-2006, 08:36 PM
I hate to bite the hand that feeds us but this post really doesn't tell us a great deal. OK so they are reducing the greater heal cast time (FANTASTIC news!), they are changing Inner Fire (not quite sure how yet), they are giving everyone Holy Fire (wow big deal), they are somehow improving PW:Shield (again not entirely sure what they are doing to it) and they are looking at the talent trees and racial spells (we already knew this).

So in other words, Blizzard can say that they have updated us on the Priest changes without actually telling us a whole lot.

Felwen

sara
03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Group buff shadow prot = yay! It's a tedious chore in MC, I don't have divine spirit myself, but I hear that that is annoying, too
Casting time reduction for gheal = expected, increase in mana efficiency sounds interesting since it's already really nice if you know what you're doing. Ofc the reduction in cast time will mean smaller heals, which in turn means more casts and less time spent outside the 5s rule, which sucks :(
They said a while back that they'd be moving all of the racial spells (well the decent ones) into the talent trees so that horde priests could get fear ward too (one less thing for Tau to whine about :)) Be interesting to see what they come up with instead. Ofc it means that alliance shadow priests will probably get devouring plague...

I wait with trepidation :)

Senex
04-02-2006, 02:22 AM
We're about to get nerfed. :(

Alia
04-02-2006, 05:11 AM
We're about to get nerfed. :(

:shock: !

How? so far i didn't see any nerf!?

Cassina
04-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I hope they actually make Feedback useful, I spend 0% of the time hitting with my staff.

Thorbadin
04-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Holy Fire will no longer be a talent required ability. All priests, upon reaching the appropriate level will receive this spell as a core ability. In addition, this spell's casting time has been reduced from 4 seconds to 3.5. The appropriate talent improvement would bring this spell to a 3 second cast.

Gah this means they still keep the retarded divine fury talent in the holy tree, oh well, rest seems nice ;) group spirit buff ftw

sara
04-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Actually if you want to dps with smite that talent is quite nice (because smite has a long base cast time which means that it gets more benefit from +damage gear). You can couple this with the fact that getting holy resist is nearly impossible (PVE and PVP).

There was a discussion about the 'holy nuker' talent build a while back.

Alia
04-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Holy Nuker (http://www.shadowsongeurope.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=28&page=viewtopic&t=288)

Alia
04-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Hehe Nthw, i only use it when i want my weapon to glow purple.

I remember when i got asked what that enchant on my staff and what are the mats needed for it ^ ^.

Cassina
04-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Hehe Nthw, i only use it when i want my weapon to glow purple.

I remember when i got asked what that enchant on my staff and what are the mats needed for it ^ ^.

Ditto :lol:

EDIT: Plus mana burn is much better against casters...

Gelodina
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
im quite happy they didnt make the fear ward a talent, i rolled a dwarf for a reason. Also, i highly doubt Gheal will be more used this way, atleast not high end, several priests heal a target which means overhealing a lot, and damage is to unpredictible in lets say BWL, various bosses use high damage skills right after another, and you really dont have to to cast a 3 second heal when the MT got ganked to 35% and the boss prepares to use the same or a diffrent high damage skill right after.

one of the things i would like to see, is a cooldown ability like focus casting that greatly reduces or make an instance cast of your next spell, this would be be quite a copy of the druid talent, but they arent sepossed to be the main healing class in the first place.

yay for group SP and DS, but i really hope they imporve the duration of it as well, especially with SP. i wouldnt mind to farm or buy a book for it like PWF.

a wand buff with inner fire would be usefull, but i still get a "meh" feeling. Making it a buff that can be cast like it was in WC3 (increased damage out put and armor on diffrent targets) would be more usefull, even had it a high cooldown say 30 seconds or 1 minute with a low duration so it can only be used on a single target or maybe 2 like it is now with Fear Ward (10 min duration and 30 second cooldown, abosrbs 1 fear - if you didnt know, really only usefull on a single target, like the MT on magmadar or Nefarian)

i really dont mind PWS as it is, damage absorbtion and duration wise, i do hope they decrease the overall cooldown (6 seconds now, which is a bit high imho)

overall plenty to look forward too, but "knowing" blizzard it still wont be as we want it, making the priest the main healer we all want it to be.

Alakhai
08-02-2006, 01:13 PM
i rolled a dwarf for a reason.

You're a fatty?

sara
08-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I rolled a troll for a reason, too: I didn't want to be undead and I didn't want to play alliance. I played alliance up to mid 30s in beta, twice and I wanted a change, and I knew that more people would play alliance than horde and I wanted to try and avoid adding to the deficit. Shame that I didn't know exactly how bad Shadowsong would eventually become.

Anyway, those were my available options. No access to PVE skills like fear ward didn't come into my choice.

Cassina
10-02-2006, 11:52 AM
This is awesome:

Feedback - The priest surrounds himself with anti-magic energy. Any successful spell cast against the priest will burn mana from the attacker and cause Shadow damage.

http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-priest-en&t=90473&p=1&tmp=1#post90473

Turiel
10-02-2006, 11:55 AM
OMFG what race has that :P

Cassina
10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Human...