View Full Version : Shadowpriests overpowered? (PvE)

Harr
09-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Never thought this would be possible, solo killing 5 levels highers (red!) mobs than my shadow priest is. And no, it wasn't just one lucky kill, I had to kill several for mechanical yeti quest. And those aren't pansy caster mobs either with low hp. Before you make comments like hunters do it easy priests don't have a tank to take the heat (when solo ofcourse :P ) ;)

Never even could dream solo killing 5 levels higher mobs with my shammy....

http://www.shadowsongeurope.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=35&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2209

Alia
09-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Ah i see that u had discovered the dark power :P.

Priest dont have pets like hunter or warlock( not as good as the hunters tho ) to do the tanking for them as we do our own tanking :).

Shadow priest os great in soloing as we got +40% more damage to our shadow spells( shadow weaving, darkness and shadow form ) add to it Inner fire( the best magic armor ingame in term of armor amount ) and PW: S.

I had Shadow Focus during my lvling so taking out higher lvl mobs was not something impossible.

hehehe Try to take 5 lvl higher mob as a mage.

Platonas
09-11-2005, 12:38 PM
The key issue here isn't how much damage you do, but how good you are at staying alive. Sure, you're taking more damage than a warrior or a pally, probably a hunter too for that matter, but because of the healing, you've got at least 2-3 times as much health as them, while still doing damage to all mobs around you due to sw:p, keeping them at a distance with fear, and the odd mind blast rotation.

Kabhanda
09-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Don't be daft plat, us real priests only heal with VE :P

Tsarina
09-11-2005, 01:50 PM
QFT!

Alia
09-11-2005, 04:40 PM
true Khlysti :).

VE sounds like it only heal small amount ( 20% of your shadow damage ) but it help alot add and in the end after each kill your spirit tap will kick in( love it in pvp too :P ).

Harr
09-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I have noticed if I go out of shadow form to heal there's no points since I'm already going to die. (When solo ofcourse). So yes the only heals I get is from the vampiric embrace and I love it. (Must have something to do with my shammy background where only way to survive was to kill before I get killed).

Psychic Scream is way too unreliable to count on. With dots when damage hits there's (big) chance everytime the fear will break. With bad timing the fear has ended right away after I do the psychic scream, so most of the time I don't even bother doing it. (Only good for panic get aways when no dots up for adds)

Toshiro
09-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Undead with Devouring plague and VE on a mob means a lot of healing for yourself. You can solo all kinds of bosses and higher lvl mobs like that. :)

Harr
09-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Devouring plague uses almost 1k mana :I .. and some mobs / bosses are immune to it.

Its great for surviving one add thought :)

(edited to add comment)

Toshiro
09-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Devouring plague uses almost 1k mana :I .. and some mobs / bosses are immune to it.

886 with talents........yeah the immune ones are annoying but when they aren't is golden. But even without, VE, imp SW:P and spamming mind flay gives a lot of healing...burns mana tho :cry:

evlyxx
12-04-2006, 07:40 AM

Too true :o)

Graze
24-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Shadow priest is easily the most powerful 1 on 1 pve mob killer I've played. When I got to level 54 with mine, I discovered that the pattern I wanted for robe of winter night drops off those caster dragonkin in WS. I proceeded to solo the elite blue dragonkin out there until I got the drop, killing non-casters as well for the respawns. These elite mobs went up to level 58. I used minimal buffs (cooking), minimal potions (and certainly not the decent major ones) and obviously was not in BWL epix. Ok, I died when my spells were resisted too often, but it wasn't too bad - indeed I was almost at lvl 55 by the end of it.

Other than shadow priests, I think only locks can do this - not relying on extreme buffs or cooldown abilities. Shadow priests pwn for their extremely mana effecient damage dealing and damage mitigation. (UD shadow priest, lvl 59, 'Reek').

My advice is do not roll a shadow priest if you like your other characters! :(

Akrea
24-11-2006, 12:27 AM
On my hunter, once, at level 38, i soloed a mob 8 levels above mine (45) and while levling akrea, i was too much of a coward to attack mobs like 3 levels above mine xD

YuanTi
25-11-2006, 06:07 PM
So far me and another priest has completed scholo apart from the jandice area,we've done both Ras and gandling plus all the bosses in gandling's room!
Worst one of em is actually rattlegore so far!
Shadow ftw!
Also we duo parts of Lbrs to get the fire prot recipe and earn a quick buck:)

Kathra
25-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Real druids heal with imp LOTP

(Yes thats right, i hi-jacked your thread >;O)

Kinshara
25-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Real druids heal with imp LOTP

QFT. Absolutely love it on the PTR. It gets a slight nerf apparently(4% total health instead of 6%), but I was pretty much at full health the whole time I was killing stuff.

As for the shadow priests... got a couple in my guild who like soloing the first 10 or so mobs in scholo, not really a problem until they come to the larger linked groups. In blue gear, mind :)

Shadewalk
03-12-2006, 10:47 PM
On my hunter, once, at level 38, i soloed a mob 8 levels above mine (45) and while levling akrea, i was too much of a coward to attack mobs like 3 levels above mine xD

while hunters can kite mobs xyz levels higher the differnece here is your not kiting... a priest can both do nessesary damage and self heal enough to handle the mob in real combat, something a hunter can not really do.

Kinshara
04-12-2006, 02:34 AM

while hunters can kite mobs xyz levels higher the differnece here is your not kiting... a priest can both do nessesary damage and self heal enough to handle the mob in real combat, something a hunter can not really do.

Yeah, all classes with some form of healing capacity can take down stuff that others wouldn't be able to, at least not while the mob can return damage. I remember taking down all the gorilla waves in the Stranglethorn Fever quest solo on my paladin, when it was still an orange quest... and I know others have managed much more impressive things (soloing magmadar, though I think he's been changed since that happened)

Maesto
13-12-2006, 10:54 PM
While this post mostly reflects on solo PvE, I just wanted to add that for raid PvE Shadowpriests are definitely a hot thing right now.

The difference from 0 SPs to 1 SP in a raid is defintely noticeable.

Faylin
13-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Apart from the (VE) healing which makes priests strong in solo, the +10% hit from only 5 talent point really, really helps in defeating mobs of much higher levels.

Ethoria
31-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Mages love the misery talent and vampiric touch :D.

Robinvi
31-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Shadowpriests is imba in 5 man instances :<

Suricarta
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Aye, I'm building up my priests gear so hes ready for raiding asa shadow form, lots of mana regen gear, plus chance to hit gear, so far its been great in 5 man instances, looking forward to trying out the larger manned instances once I find a group of people willing to take me :)

Faylin
01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Aye, I'm building up my priests gear so hes ready for raiding asa shadow form, lots of mana regen gear, plus chance to hit gear, so far its been great in 5 man instances, looking forward to trying out the larger manned instances once I find a group of people willing to take me :)

http://www.occams-razor.eu/join.html

Asho
01-02-2007, 08:36 PM
shadowpriests are always useful, and it seems like everyone can handle to play them, as they just have the right talents. spam teh mind flay and pwn. I've seen shadowpriest in teh best alliance guilds that imo isn't that talented player. but ofc good ones are clearly very useful and imba.

Toshiro
02-02-2007, 12:49 AM
shadowpriests are always useful, and it seems like everyone can handle to play them, as they just have the right talents. spam teh mind flay and pwn. I've seen shadowpriest in teh best alliance guilds that imo isn't that talented player. but ofc good ones are clearly very useful and imba.

If I just stood there and spammed MF, I would kick myself out of raids. If you are gonna raid as a shadow priest, be ready to use all your spells. You can spend time to dispell easier than healers, so be doing that, watch the healers healths and so on. Step in to heal tansk on fights that need it. It is the versatility of hybrids like that, which makes them desirable in raids. So far in Kara I have spent my time about 50/50 healing and dps.

Shadow priests do imba damage tho, and with the pet and a 10k mana pool (raid buffed for me) can last a very long time for mana. Only ran out one fight so far when I was dpsing and that was cos I didn't expect a long fight so didn't pot early which would of solved the problem.

Anyone saying shadow priests aren't raid viable when well played is simply wrong. Tho any class played well is raid viable these days...Thank you blizz :)

Trupiaczacha
02-02-2007, 02:08 AM
nerf it plz.! eot.

shamazar
14-01-2008, 08:04 PM
i watched 20 shadow priest solo elite bout 2 lvls above

its not that hard when u know how to play

Ajial
14-01-2008, 08:10 PM
*cough* necro *cough*