View Full Version : rogue v hunters pvp

raltag
01-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi guys/gals
im looking for some advice on pvping against hunters, i reaslise this thread might be better placed on pvp forum but i want to try and keep it on the qt.
Ok so heres the thing, i hate flare! its annoying my choices against hunters are
1 avoid
2 accept flare and go striaght into gouge backstab
3 take the looonnnnggg way around the back, then ambush

also good hunters always stand on a trap, which means im left with havinga 3 sec time where i need to disarm the trap b4 i hit or use bow from distance and flash.

i was wondering how do others deal with this class which seems to be our nemisis.

For the actual fight i tend to use lots of stuns, gouge, cheap shot, kidney shot etc to prevent the hunter running and gettin range.
also what to do about the pet? usually i completely ignore it but if the hunter has managed 1 way or another to get away and start shooting i gouge pet and sprint back to hunter.

any one have any advice??
thx in advance

Abberare
01-11-2005, 01:08 PM
I know what you mean Ral, if a hunter flares and then stands on a freeze trap it seems you're pretty much boned. The only thing which really helps against hunters is Crippling poison, but that's a given anyway.

Smellyskele
01-11-2005, 01:17 PM
im playing at 10-19 bg yes the hunter dont have any flare/freeze trap but atm if hte hunter sees me first hed hunter mark me if i get close he just hits wing clip then just runs away and fire 1 shot run fire concus run. i dont have no crippling poison yet. does this happen wiht all lvls or just the noob NE hutners in 10-19?

TheFallen
01-11-2005, 03:21 PM
there is pretty much nothing you can do

-Most hunters stands on their trap and flare the area(wich is almost always the case).

What you can hope for with less experienced hunters is wai 20seconds or so, then the flare is gone(if the hunter didn't recast it) and then go to disarm trap-> and do your stuff.

- But vs decent hunters that stand on their trap and flare and all. You'll probably run in trap;). --> Hunters mark, aimed shot, conc shot, multishot, feigndeath+freezing trap = dead rogue

:) It's possible but very hard :wink: lucky on crits/stunlock and a mistake from the hunter :)

Turiel
01-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Hunters make me sad.

Ashborn
01-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Blind + disarm works on hunters camping the trap.

TheFallen
01-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Blind + disarm works on hunters camping the trap.

Doesn't pet interupts that? :)

Ashborn
01-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Possibly, might wanna throw a vanish in there too (yeah, I know, lotsa cooldowns quick). Just saw a rogue do it in some vid, seemed to work pretty well.

Ailith
01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I usually wait until they're busy attacking someone else rather than just standing there waiting for a rogue to attack them. :p

You can also blind the pet.

Not that you should take much notice of me, last time I pvp'd was before AB was available o_O

raltag
01-11-2005, 04:25 PM
thanks all much appreciated,
need to pick up more blind powder :-( why oh why is the reagents for that sooo expensive
oh well

for ashen: sadly im not teched to get disarm :-(

Ashborn
01-11-2005, 04:58 PM
for ashen: sadly im not teched to get disarm :-(

You're not whatnow? Surely every rogue can disarm traps? You thinking riposte or something?

Turiel
01-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Yes disarm traps is a trainer-bought skill for all rogues :P

I've always found with blind and disarm is that the blind wears off before the trap is disarmed. It can be done no doubt, but the timing has to be really perfect.

raltag
01-11-2005, 05:27 PM
yeah sorry ashen i was thinking you meant riposte

as for disarm i dont know about other rogues but i seem to do ok disarming it while stealthed behind the target hunter.
i dont know if i've just been lucky or the hunters have just been poor, (doubtful) but i can usually steath up from behind disarm trap then cheap shot without them seeing me.
it was just flare from front arc that annoys me.

Khalam
01-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Hunters go down fast once you're in melee range. Also, _always_ use double Crippling Poison in battlegrounds.

Tsarina
01-11-2005, 09:17 PM
If I'm camping traps, which I always do when I can (but its always some stupid horde warrior charging into it (and an even more stupid alliance warrior breaking it)), you can't kill me. Maybe with blind combined with extreme amounts of luck (or on occassion if you are named Sinar or Spyeyes). But why would you go for a hunter? I realise not all hunters have my amount of HP, but we do less PvP damage than many other classes and the non-retarded ones use mail in PvP. And we have a lot higher dodge/parry chance than cloth wearers. Unless all clothies are dead, stay away from hunters.

Soulrender
02-11-2005, 10:02 AM
yeah, right, "less PvP damage". aimed shot crits me for 1.8k, concussion shot, multi-shot, scorpid sting, auto-shot crits for 700 and i'm dead. "stay away from hunters", thats exactly what they want, ...
without using any cooldowns you won't survive a duel vs a hunter. wonder how spyeyes does it.

raltag
02-11-2005, 10:24 AM
LOL tsarina stay away from hunters, yeah right
when 70% of the opposition = hunters
i think i've not got much choice.
but seriously, usually in arathi basin i end up going to cap a flag which is nearly always defended by a hunter hence the need for good advice.
as for poison i tend to go for double cripple (version 2) or 1 cripple 1 mind numb.
and on a more jokey note i seem to remember ganking you once or twice tsarina admittedly while u were shooting someone else but stil....
:-)
*ducks from the now expected aimed shots from tsarina*
see you all in ab
and GL with ranks today

Sinar
02-11-2005, 10:34 AM
or on occassion if you are named Sinar or Spyeyes

/doom

kyochi
02-11-2005, 10:45 AM
hehe, i've had many a good fight for a flag against you Ral =)

Sinar
02-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Duel: two viable choices pending on wether the hunter's pet is on passive or agressive.
If it's on passive after you circle in the oppoisite direction of the flare (smart ones flare "inside" themselves (their chars)) come only close enough to blind, wait out the ooc, restealth disarm trap=do your thing. If the pet is on agressive repeat same process but the moment blind applies vanish then disarm=do your thing.

Open pvp:What you said about hunters camping traps applies only if they're entrenched and guarding a heavily assaulted node for example..otherwise they are (if they're good) way to mobile because they're kiting anyone trying to melee them (unless they're BM then you're in the shitter if u dont have the first shot), so if you're Really keen on taking him/her down wait till he moves then lockdown..I wont go into finer details (already have tbh) so u can discover them yourself (hopefully testing it out on Tsarina :wink: )

raltag
02-11-2005, 01:21 PM
yeah kyochi :-) i remember whats the score between us btw?? lol
thx sinar all tips gladly recieved.

hmm considering starting a new thread rogues vs ??
could even become a series of threads a kinda best of the best advice versus each class...
on second thoughts maybe not.

kyochi
03-11-2005, 01:06 AM
yeah kyochi :-) i remember whats the score between us btw?? lol

I shall have revenge for laughing at me as i was ganked by 5 horde :-p

Senister
03-11-2005, 08:20 AM
Traps are overpowered. I don't care for their effect, just the fact that they have no cast time. Sure i can pull out a bear trap, place an element on it and throw it to the ground instantly.

Well got a little offtopic there...

I usually don't go for hunters unless they have another target. If i do, they kite me and im fucked. Hunters have a shitload of abilities to slow you down. So slowing poison and instant poison would be my bet, stun them with every thing you got and hope for the best. Not much advice, but whatever...

TheFallen
03-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Traps are overpowered. I don't care for their effect, just the fact that they have no cast time. Sure i can pull out a bear trap, place an element on it and throw it to the ground instantly.

Well got a little offtopic there...

I usually don't go for hunters unless they have another target. If i do, they kite me and im fucked. Hunters have a shitload of abilities to slow you down. So slowing poison and instant poison would be my bet, stun them with every thing you got and hope for the best. Not much advice, but whatever...

Shitload abilities? :lol:

at the moment i can only think of 3. Winclip, conc shot, scatter shot(talent based).
Sure they're nice and helpfull and all, but i wouldn't really kill that a shitload :o

Khalam
03-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Shitload abilities? :lol:

at the moment i can only think of 3. Winclip, conc shot, scatter shot(talent based).
Sure they're nice and helpfull and all, but i wouldn't really kill that a shitload :o

And rogues have one -- crippling poison, out of which you can trinket. :/

raltag
03-11-2005, 12:36 PM
to be fair guys/gals i think we are approximately even oin the slowing down stunning scales we do have Kidney shot, gouge, cheap shot etc.

and kyochi watch ya back :-p lol
(meant in friendly jest ofc)

Bgum
09-11-2005, 07:57 AM
DonĀ“t take him out alone if his higher lvl than u... 2 rogues... 1 on pet and 1 on the hunter...

Tsarina
09-11-2005, 01:47 PM
we do have Kidney shot, gouge, cheap shot etc.

Only one thing can save you. Crippling poison. Without it, you are dead. Even if you are the world champion stun-locker, I'll kill you without it. Not saying you'll kill me with crippling, but at least you have a chance. I can melee most rogues to death anyway. (Purely due to gear imbalance. In my favour most of the times.) But random hunter vs random rogue: Crippling ftw.

Sinar
01-12-2005, 05:58 PM
I can melee most rogues to death

Someone's been eating "I tripalot pills"

Tsarina
01-12-2005, 07:33 PM
I can melee most rogues to death

Someone's been eating "I tripalot pills"
You, Ante, Khalam, variousepiccladrogues, are not "most rogues". You have seen me duel freshies at Refuge Point. I thought you knew. Perhaps you mean young rogues shouldn't be taking pills and then go looking for duels?

Gruze
01-12-2005, 09:27 PM
You, Ante, Khalam, variousepiccladrogues, are not "most rogues".

They got skillz.

Smellyskele
02-12-2005, 07:02 PM
maybe they should change the way the trap works. since the hunter stands on the trap and doesnt set it off. and yet we only slightly touch it and bang it goes off. they should make if funny so anyone who stands on it gets ice traped :P frost trap your own team chasing after the flag in wsg :P

but they are kinda imba :)

Kabhanda
02-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Lets have all aoe affect your own team too.....

Tsarina
02-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Except in Yin's dueling contest, I don't use traps in duels. With a very very few exceptions, it works just fine.

Smellyskele
03-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Lets have all aoe affect your own team too.....

sounds fun lol :)

Harr
03-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Seriosly scatter shot and then putting trap at your feet with your opponent near it is a lame tactic X-I

No chance avoiding it.

Magnus
03-12-2005, 11:09 AM
also good hunters always stand on a trap, which means im left with havinga 3 sec time where i need to disarm the trap b4 i hit or use bow from distance and flash.

It's a 5 sec cast to disarm a trap not 3, also you don't unstealth while disarming

(if we would have unstealthed the depression rooms in BWL would have bin a nightmare :P )

Cachero
03-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Step 1 . Sap.. Ofc you will miss it.
Step 2. If he puts pet on you (wont be likely if your against Legolazzes, they liek are so stealthy and dont need pet) blind it, wich you will most likely miss or it will get dodged.
Step 3. Disarm trap and hope your Crippling poison procs and hope it will proc after the trinket.

If none of the above: /afk or /dance

Soulrender
03-12-2005, 11:43 PM
sounds like a plan ;P

KalToreth
15-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Ive found that actually stealthing in and sapping them, is a nice way to do it.

even tho you 9/10 times get trapped, the idiot pet usally undoes that. Kill the silly pet, and get on with it. Still sap usally lasts longer than trap, so even if the *censcored* pet is on passive, you still have your opener :)

But
As we all know sap dont really last full time very often, so its risky
And the chance for getting trapped before even having the sap inserted..
you might call it a risky one :)

But still.

Gotte love the satisfaction of killing theire pet whilst theire just standing there, and by god, let us not forget the time for emotes :D

*giggle*

Tsarina
15-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Ive found that actually stealthing in and sapping them, is a nice way to do it.

even tho you 9/10 times get trapped, the idiot pet usally undoes that. Kill the silly pet, and get on with it. Still sap usally lasts longer than trap, so even if the *censcored* pet is on passive, you still have your opener :)

I have never seen sap last longer than the trap. Not once. Hunters have their pet on passive most of the time, I doubt you have been released from the trap by a pet many times.

Khalam
15-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I have never seen sap last longer than the trap. Not once. Hunters have their pet on passive most of the time, I doubt you have been released from the trap by a pet many times.

I did, quite a few times. No idea if the hunters had the improved trap talent.

KalToreth
15-03-2006, 03:51 PM
No, not many times - But the sap does turn the tables, if we get lucky :)